Leopard Clean Install Concern

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Hi everyone,
    last night I did a clean install of Leopard OS on previous gen. MBP, and I have 2 concerns about it:

1) I did the "Erase & Install" thing, and before it started installing, I could choose from 2 options of how to install the system. The 1st one was Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the 2nd one Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled). I chose the 1st one. What is the 2nd option anyway??

2) During the installation, the screen would become dim after a couple of mins. I stayed close to the computer so whenever it got dim I moved the mouse slightly so that the screen would get bright again. However, I had to leave my room for 5 mins during the installation, and when I came back the screen was black and the little white light (next to the IR receiver) was on. So I moved the mouse again to "wake" the computer up. Im not exactly sure it was sleeping or what, but Im slightly concerned whether this has affected the installation process or not???

Thanks in advance!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. I don't know what the second was; do you remember what it was called?

2. Your screen turned off. The computer isn't stupid enough to put itself to sleep while it is actually doing something. :D

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

EDIT: I found what they are called: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled). Well, I chose the former...

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

1. You picked correctly. NEVER use case-sensitive, it will cause so many problems and headaches with apps that assume case-insensitive that you will be beating yourself up because your system is unusable. There are reasons for it with special scientific computing but nothing a normal person would even get close to.

2. Don't worry about it, most likely the computer just shut of the screen to save power. Even if it did go to sleep, the computer is smart and would have woken up and started back exactly where it was before so there is no difference in the install between if the computer did or did not go to sleep.

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816