Leopard compatibility with Current Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dooker777, Oct 6, 2007.

  1. dooker777 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    #1
    Hi All,
    I need to buy soon (MB or MBP) for work. Just wondering about Leopard and whether it will have a few growing pains when it is released. I recall that Tiger wasn't initially compatible with some software. The problem this poses for me is that I can't go weeks or months waiting for updates.

    So buy now and upgrade when stable (for my software)? Thanks!

    FYI: I have a MBP (Rev A), but it has been in for repair 5 times. Just unlucky. Anyways, downtime is bad, so I'm forced to be redundant. Luckily I have grant money to pay for equipment right now.
     
  2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #2
    The only people who can say... can't. They signed a non disclosure agreement.

    If stability is important then Tiger is what you need. I'll be upgrading one machine for evaluation. If the software I need works, then the others get upgraded. In my case I need the CS3 suite and Pages. everything else is gravy.
     
  3. Drile macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2005
    #3
    Go Tiger to begin with, then wait and see to see what results are from everyone else.
     
  4. knockknock macrumors member

    knockknock

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Location:
    at home
    #4
    Get a macbook pro about a week before release so you can get tiger and THEN upgrade to leopard for $10 or $30(apple had this warranty if you bought a computer within 1 month of the release of a new OS). Partion your hard drive.That way you can see which one works better if you install 10.4 in one partition and 10.5 in the other one.Or in an external HD. I know it's a lot of work but that's the only way you'll find out .Thats until the software developers come out with patches.:)
     
  5. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

    lancestraz

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2005
    Location:
    RI
    #5
    You can take a look here and see what programs have already been updated to work with Leopard.
     
  6. dooker777 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    #6
    Thanks!

    Thanks all! I think the consensus is to go Tiger, and it makes sense. That means buy soon. My credit card has just jumped out of my wallet like a salmon!

    Partitioning the HD sounds intriguing. I may do that. What about leopard on an external FW drive?

    I'm going with the MBP, since I didn't like the glossy screen at the apple store. My office has harsh lighting, white walls, a window and a door. It's Glare-neyland. Too bad there's no 12in PB equivalent. Or a MBP that has a lower clocked CPU and GPU that gets 8+ hours of real battery life. Some of us need mobility and battery life more than power.
     
  7. knockknock macrumors member

    knockknock

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Location:
    at home
    #7
    That would be a safe way to try. Just install the apps that you use the most.

    I got tiger in an external firewire drive just in case. If the main HD fails in my powermac g5. I still can take my stuff out of the second HD:D
    (Also if you erase something by mistake you could use recovery software to bring it back).
    Now when I'll get the chance, I will have to repartition this drive in 2 . One will work with ppc(PMG5 -and brothers PB)and the other one with Intel(wife MBP)
     

Share This Page