leopard compatible mic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark2288, Feb 10, 2008.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a mic. I had a labtec one that fit into the 3.5 mm slot, but it seems it doesn't work with Leopard. it may just be broken, but i know several people have noticed their mics don't work with leopard. anyhow i heard USB mics are pretty compatible.

anyone have any luck with this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836111601

it's not for anything too serious, just WoWing....

thanks all!

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The problem with 3.5mm mics has nothing to do with Leopard but instead the hardware. ALL Apple line in ports are "line in" not mic which means to use a mic with them you need a pre-amp.

Just about any USB mic should work. Alternately, you can get a USB pre-amp like the iMic and that will also allow you to use a mic with a 3.5mm jack.

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

as yippy said, it isn't Leopard it is the port. I can tell you that the Logitech is a nice USB mic though. I used to have one on my powermac G4, before I bought my iMac.

4. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

ah okay. thanks for clarifying...i'll go ahead with the logitech then. thanks!

5. tbo macrumors newbie

Mic or line-in?

Now, if the supposed mic-port is actually line-in (which works quite alright), why then does XP SP3 running with Parallels accept the line-in port as mic port?
    In other worde: I can record with a Sony condenser mic using Windows virtualization, but not with Leopard natively (or least only faintly). This makes absoluely no sense to me, except if the line-in port is somehow crippled by the Mac OS.
    Do I have to start XP only to use the Macs mic port?
    :confused: