Leopard - couple of odd things...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dazzer21, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

Recently, I've been getting odd results when searching for files in Leopard. I've got to the point now where I can see a file sitting on my drive, open a new window and search for it, but it can't be found. I've tried Spotlight, the search box at the top of each window and cmd-F search options. I've used Disk Utility to repair disk permissions but it doesn't make a difference. Before I delve into the ins and outs of the system, I wondered if anyone has any ideas...

Also, Time Machine is has started whirring away constantly, even when it's switched off. It tells me that the last backup was about 2 weeks ago and there is plenty of room still left on the back up volume. ???

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you checked System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy if some folders might be excluded there?

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

In addition to the above maybe try putting your boot drive inside the Privacy section of Spotlight. Wait 30 seconds or so for the system to delete its Spotlight database. Then remove your boot drive from the list and notice Spotlight grinding away. If you watch Activity Monitor you'll see mdworker and/or mds going at it.

This can be done with third party tools too with just a click of a button. But it's doable without third party tools.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Also be aware that Spotlight will not include the contents of your Library folder in search results. To do so, you must use Finder and specifically add that criteria.