Leopard CoverFlow is low res

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoobsPro, Oct 26, 2007.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im running Leopard on my PMG5 Dual 1.8 with ATI X800XT card and coverflow in finder is crap. Images are VERY pixelated (even Apple icons).

Attached Files:

2. ckelley macrumors regular

Mine look great on my MacBook with integrated video. The iLife '08 icons, and most every other icon from any developer, are still at 128x128 and are not the high quality resolution-independent ones that just got introduced with Leopard. Give them time, they will get better.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yeah, it's the same way on my G5 DP1.8 too. I guess the gfx card doesn't fully support CoreImage, so there's some back-up plan in operation. Reminds me of the way Expose looked on my early G4 Titanium powerbook - it worked, but looked a tad fuzzy.

It's perfect on my MacBook Pro SR17" Hi-res btw

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Leave it to sit for a few moments on the object you want to look at better, it *should* (or did for me) then load a higher res version (this was when viewing images, not icons).

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Did you let it cycle in? Sometimes coverflow will put up a low res until the picture "comes to focus."

I've seen it in action here in the office (buddy got his a short bit ago) and it doesn't look like you describe. It looks quite nice actually.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hmm - interesting thought, that, but no go - just using it to look at a bunch of high-res TIFFs and it's still a whole lot more pixelated than my MBP. Perfectly usable, but just not as sharp.

7. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have done. I have even opened it in Preview and resaved to see if it would save a new preview image but its still the same. I can see it change slightly so it loads a very low res for illusion of speed then after about a second the image become a tiny bit better but still horribly pixelated.

It works fine in iTunes.

Attached Files:

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Same thing here.

I've got a folder with a bunch of high-res wallpapers....some are crystal clear, others aren't. Even stopping on one and waiting...it doesn't always update.

-Kevin

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I bet it's because those files have low res icons created from something like Photoshop. If the file has a custom icon, it WILL show up low res... You must delete the icon and let it display the real preview.

Also... Not ALL icons are updated to the 512x512 size yet. I don't think they updated the iPhoto Library icon to save time... also, 3rd party apps are very unlikely to have 512x512 icons yet until they're updated by their developers.

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Hmmm...ok, possibly. However, when I delete the icon for one the images, Cover flow displays the genereic JPEG icon instead. Icon view in the finder shows the correct icon, just now coverflow shows the default.

-Kevin

11. mooty macrumors regular

I have it on icons I thought would have been updated:

Safari Archive:
    [​IMG]

Automator App:
    [​IMG]

Automator Workflow:
    [​IMG]

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hmm... Are there view options for CoverFlow? I don't have Leopard installed yet because I'm at work... but, I'll check into this when I have a chance. Try opening your view options by clicking on a CoverFlow window and hitting cmd-J. Then, check to see if there's a button in there that has anything to do with the way previews are displayed. It could also be that you have an older machine and it can't handle the graphics of full previews... what kind of Mac do you have?

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz, 3 GB RAM...so it should be able to handle anything.

I think you are right with the icons.....as I said in my other post, the images that I'm having issues with...I believe were edited in PS.

There are options for cover flow view....but nothing about how it displays the icons.

-Kevin

14. melidoni macrumors newbie

reply to cover flow preview problem

Ok guys,
    To make this work for all future images....
    You need to NOT create Custom Icons when importing Images in applications such as Apples Image capture etc...
    Then cover flow will work just fine, took me a while but worked it out last night.
    If You can now look for a way to convert all previous images/photos you have already imported (Im working on that right now) - will get back to you soon or if anyone else can find out first this will be appreciated.

Regards Nick.:)

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

16. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

There's an easy way to make Leopard do it without all the messing with photoshop too..

You can just "get info" on a pic and delete it's icon at the top.. Seems like the fastest way to get rid of the pixelly previews individually.

Edit:

lol, actually you can select an entire folders worth of pics, go "get info" and delete all the previews in one click.

!! :D Did I just stumble on something worthwhile? Woo!

17. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I am on a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz with 4 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM and found that the system will have jagged icons in coverflow if I am doing some heavy lifting while browsing my files that have never been looked at before. Ones I have viewed before look fine but the one's I have never seen are jagged until whatever process that is using my system resources stops then they are not jagged again. Im guessing that the OS preview that is made is put off until the more important processes running in the background are finished (bringing a DVD, copying a DVD image etc).

18. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

No jags or lo res (on new hi res icons) on any of my Core supported Macs.
    An older non core Ti 15 PB shows the jaggies. So I assume, in my case it's the older graphics card and support for Core that is the issue.

19. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I'm using a dual G5 dual 1.8Ghz PM with an ATI 9800Pro/128MB (worse than the OP's card) and I'm not getting any pixelation (after making sure I delete image icons, and after waiting for the hi-res app icons to load right) Application icons are huuuge.

Strange..

20. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks guys I figured it out myself and then forgot about this post. I found (as others have to) that if you delete the icon in the 'get info' window Leopard creates its own preview and it is high res.

App icons were always fine. Obviously making them massive on screen would give slight pixelation as the Automator screen shot above shows. Older icons however will obviously be lower res and looks worse.

21. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Good Find!!

22. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Hey I've got this problem as well, the strange thing is I'm not always able to delete the preview icon in the "Get Info" window. Sometimes I select a bunch of pictures in the same folder, hit cmd-I and delete it, sometimes the icon won't disappear. And sometimes an individual "get Info" window opens for all the different pictures!

23. es2mac macrumors newbie

Hold ctrl to get a summary info window.

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hmm... you must mean hold down cmd-option and press "i" right? I don't think the control key does anything for that.

25. lukechip macrumors member

Here is the answer

Check out this discussion at Apple.com

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5672224

Basically, download the utility CocoThumbX, spotlight your HDD for all files called jpg (or at least the part of your HDD where you want to fix them), highlight them all and drop them into the drop zone into this app. Make sure "Remove Thumbnail" is checked.

Voila - beautiful pics in coverflow.

The problem is caused by Apple 'honouring' your crappy 128x128 preview icons from the previous operating system, instead of upgrading them.