Leopard Crashes All the Time..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Domofloge, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Cant find anything in the search...

After updating and even before i updated to 10.5.2, my new Macbook crashes at least twice a day. It will just randomly shutdown and restart. This is my first Mac so i dont know if there is a way to look back and see what was going on at the time of the crash..

Anything would be a great help... TY..

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:apple: / More Info / About this Mac / Logs

Look at the system log and error logs.

Edit: Console.app in the Utility Folder gives you a more comprehensive listing of the available logs for the machine.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

This is a hardware problem and will be covered by AppleCare. Call Apple or take it to an Apple store.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest Repairing Permissions and Checking your file system, before doing anything rash.

TEG

5. Domofloge thread starter macrumors regular

Domofloge

Ok. i agree. Now the question is... How do I repair permissions?? :D

6. skwij macrumors 6502

/Applications>Utilities>Disc Utility

Once there, select your Harddrive and "repair permissions". This can take a while on Leopard, so be patient.

7. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Looks like a RAM issue. Have you tried to run Apple Hardware utility test ? It's on the DVD provided with the MacBook.

8. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

It could also be a hard drive problem. I encountered intermittent crashes with a 12 inch Powerbook a while back where one of the header files on the disk had become corrupted. This led to numerous system crashes. I ended up repairing the disk with Diskwarrior.

If you find it difficult to diagnose the problem and live near an Apple store try the Genius bar.

9. Domofloge thread starter macrumors regular

Domofloge

OK. Well i repaired my permissions and will update all with the outcome. I sincerely hope this fixed my little prob.

Thanks.

10. Domofloge thread starter macrumors regular

Domofloge

So i repaired my permissions and life was good for a few days. Then today, it crashed again. So im in the process of repairing again and ill let ya'll know if that does the trick. Any other suggestions other than what i've done thus far?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The random restarting symptoms are unusual. An actual OS crash should be accompanied by the kernel panic screen advising you in several languages to restart your Mac. Are you not seeing this screen? Are you also saying that the Mac doesn't simply shut down, it actually reboots?

12. kolax macrumors G3

Dodgy hardware. As said, if the OS crashed you'd likely get a kernel panic.

Take it to Apple and let them have a look. There is dodgy Apple computers out there, you might just be unlucky to get one. Just like every other manufacture has the odd dodgy product.

13. Domofloge thread starter macrumors regular

Domofloge

I am not seeing the kernel panic screen. It honestly will just restart randomly. Its so annoying b.c i just lost my O Chem lab report last night. :(. It hasnt done it today that God.

If it happens again, I'm definitely bringing it to the Apple Store. Only thing is my dad didnt buy applecare. IDK if that matters at all, but i guess its worth a try?

14. kolax macrumors G3

All Mac's come with one year Apple Care.

15. Domofloge thread starter macrumors regular

Domofloge

Awesome. I'm defiantly covered then.. :D