Leopard Crashes While Asleep MBP 2.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by incoherent1, Jan 2, 2008.

1. incoherent1 macrumors member

Hello,

Every time I close the lid of my MBP 2.2, it goes to sleep and will not wake up (the light pulsates and the screen is black, but it doesn't wake up when opened or with keyboard). I just upgraded from 10.4.11 -> 10.5.1. I've installed all of the software updates. This happens every single time - without fail, even if I'm running no applications.

This is really awful. Not only do I have to manually shut down, but then it takes about 3-4x longer to boot after a crash. My job requires frequent moving around, sleeping/waking up of my computer, so this is an absolute deal breaker. Having my computer crash every hour is going to really screw me.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

EDIT: The light sometimes is steady and doesn't pulsate when it goes to sleep, but same result.

EDIT 2: I decided to do a cold installation from my external firewire drive, and now it's not reading the drive! I go to System Profiler and under "Firewire" it says that there are no devices on the bus! It doesn't even read that there are any ports there! This feels like Windows XP before SP1.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What do you mean by a "cold installation from the external drive"?

3. incoherent1 thread starter macrumors member

I did a full backup to an external drive, then booted to the Leopard installation CD. I used Disk Utility to erase the internal HD, then did a fresh install on the empty internal. Even when I logged in for the first time, it still gave me the same problems (FireWire doesn't work & crashes while asleep). I had planned to use the Migration Utility to bring everything over from the external, but with the FireWire out of commission I couldn't.

For what it's worth, I called Apple and they have no clue. It looks like I'll have to bring it in, which means having to dust off the old PB 12" to do work on in the meantime. It won't go in until later this week, so if you have any ideas I'm all ears and would be very grateful for anything that could potentially solve the problem here and save me some grief and a lot of time.

Cheers.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Damn. Since you've just erased the drive already, have you tried reinstalling Tiger? Does it still happen if all peripherals are unplugged? I think it's probably a hardware issue but maybe try a quick SMC reset all the same. :)

5. incoherent1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, my Tiger CD is home in New York, so I'll be able to fiddle with that when I get home in a few days. I'll try the SMC reset - thanks for the tip. If not, then it looks like back to my trusty 12" PB for awhile.