Leopard Delay Thought

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by caliguy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. caliguy macrumors regular

caliguy

I'm not a very active member of these forums, so sorry if this has been discussed.

I'm guessing that Leopard is delayed because of possible Blu-ray addition to the Mac lineup. Of course this probably isn't the whole entire reason, but I think that added probably a month or two to the delay.

Any thoughts?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i doubt it. there isnt a clear winner yet for the next format as far as i know. apple will not risk it if hd dvd does indeed win out. plus leopard is software not hardware so you are talking about blu-ray or hd dvd compatibilty in the os right.

leopard is delayed because it is simply not ready. pure and simple

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you are probably right....but maybe the blu-ray and HD-DVD support could be a very little part in the delay

4. hampton macrumors newbie

I thought the rumour was that they pulled a bunch of developers off of it to work on the iPhone.

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

LOL!

Yeah, I'd be inclined to think there wasn't any real back story other than they had to stabilize the core iPhone functionality. It should be good for Apple TV and ultimately the full OS X functionality as well.

I would venture to guess that you didn't see Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drives, because Leopard is late not the other way around. Cost probably had something to do with it as well. The drives are still in the $600+ range.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe there is substance in the theory that hardware is holding Leopard back...maybe something revolutionary such as touch sensitivity, but done Jeff Han style :)

7. hampton macrumors newbie

I found where I read the rumour.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/04/14/1455201.shtml

From the article:

"In its statement, Apple cited the need to divert its team of programmers to the challenge of introducing the iPhone, which it said was still on track for shipment in “late June.”"

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I think it's because OS X sales have risen since Vista was released. Apple realise they can get more sales out of Tiger and can afford to delay the release of Leopard.

It's just a hunch though.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think there's more to it than that. i think they had a set of features and such that they wanted to incorporate, but just couldn't get it done within their time-table, especially with everything else going on at Apple.