Leopard demonstrably slower on 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darthvedder81, Nov 3, 2007.

1. darthvedder81 macrumors newbie

I just (finally) finished upgrading to Leopard after several false starts (I ended up needing to do a clean install and restore my user folder using the .Mac Backup app). Of all the MacOS upgrades I've done over the years (OS 8, OS 9, OS 10.1-10.4) this has been by far the worst.

I have to say I'm flabbergasted with all these reports of Leopard running so well on older G4 machines—including machines much less powerful than my 12" Powerbook (circa 2005, 1.5ghz. 1.25 RAM, 64 MB GeForce Go5200 graphics).

Tiger ran beautifully but Leopard is choppy and slow. I'm just frustrated all around. I've done a clean install, repaired permissions and zapped PRAM. I'm seriously considering going back to Tiger because this is just ridiculous.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have identical machine, and Leopard is simply amazing!

Common tasks are so much faster, and nothing is slower. I've had no problems with it. Sorry to hear you have.

3. darthvedder81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard this all over and it just boggles my mind. Do I just have a lemon of a machine? I can't think of what else to do to make it better.

4. postonatimus macrumors newbie

I've got the same machine, just 768MB RAM. All programs start pretty fast(faster then tiger) just when it comes to playing multiple avi files in quicktime it becomes little choppy.
    I'm generally satisfied just i hope 10.5.1 to come out soon! For fixing minor bugs

5. MaLt macrumors newbie

I have the same configuration as postonatimus, also a 12" Pbook G4 1.5Ghz, 64mb video card

It runs faster than Tiger, and what i did was a Upgrade. The only problem I have is the Toast app, it crashes in Leopard... but everything else works ok ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Without jumping into the whole how-to-install quagmire, have you created a new account / did you test your account before you restored your home folder? Just to eliminate the possibility that something was accidentally restored that is bedeviling Leopard? It seems like it would be worth a quick do, since your experience is so different from others'.

7. darthvedder81 thread starter macrumors newbie

After I did a clean install I created a new user and played around with it BEFORE bringing over my old account. It didn't seem to make any difference so I don't think it has anything to do with something from my user folder reeking havoc. I'm still under AppleCare and my audio out port is shorting out so I think I'm going to see if I can't get the whole logic board replaced. That would also give me a new graphics chip which I'm thinking may be the problem here.

8. kevinscott macrumors newbie

same problem

I have the same model (1.5ghz 12" 1.25gb ram, goforce 5200) Programs run fast, but graphics are really slow.
    dock is choppy, extended desktop really choppy, safari scrolling choppy
    :confused:
    any suggestions??
    ps I upgraded via leopard dvd

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Strange because I have the exact same specs and everything is smooth for me. The 3d dock is a tad slower but the 2d one is silky smooth. Safari's scrolling is just as smooth as it was in Tiger though. Strange differences.

10. kevinscott macrumors newbie

I created a new user, and things seem faster. I wonder what is slowing down my main account.

11. danols15 macrumors newbie

12. danols15 macrumors newbie

Indexing PowerBook?

Hello,

I would check to see Spotlight is still indexing, that will eat up LOTS of resouces, especially on a G4.

I have the same PowerBook, and I am planning on upgrading within the next two weeks. I have it running on a G3 1GHZ 1GB PowerMac G3 upgraded (Hacked the DVD)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302&highlight=Leopard+Performance+on+a+G4

and it runs fine, so I would imagine that on a G4 1.5 it would be great.

Regards

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Probably Spotlight indexing. Leave it run without going to sleep overnight. Also check your Dashboard widgets - lots of them will slow things down.