Leopard disc failing...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sanzu08, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Sanzu08 macrumors member

Sanzu08

I bought a copy of Leopard the week it came out and have used it a fair number of times to do clean installs on my MBP (i do like to tinker :D ), but I just put it in the drive and its failing to recognise it - whirs away for a minute or two then spits it out.... Other DVD's play fine so I'm assuming it just this dvd.

Now if I take it into the store - I haven't got the receipt or original box - will they still replace it for me??

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

How are you handling the DVD? Could just be all mungy from skin oils & the like. You can safely clean them with warm water and a little mild liquid soap (like just a few drops), drying with a soft dry terry cloth (wipe from the center out, not in circular motions!). I do this all the time with rented DVD's, and it's always worked just fine with no damage to the media.

You could take it into an Apple Store and let them check it on one of their machines. I suppose if it fails there, they're likely to replace it. Take the box and all the other material you haven't tossed with you.

3. Sanzu08 thread starter macrumors member

Sanzu08

after much polishing I have finally managed to get it to load. I then made a disk image and placed it on an external drive so that I can install from that next time.

I have a feeling that its a combination of a worn dvd plus my DVD drive getting a bit ropey - time to get it check out I think

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

not saying i support torrenting, and such. BUT since you have clearly purchased a LEGAL liscense to leopard, I wouldnt consider there to be anything wrong with torrenting leopard and burning that to a DVD.

I repeat i dont support torrents in general but in this special situation you wouldnt really be breaking any laws.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Interesting. I did an Erase/Install on my MBA and had to clean the disc twice.