Leopard Disc...OEM or Retail? How To Tell?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghetto3jon, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ghetto3jon macrumors newbie

someone i know is upgrading to snow leopard, and was going to sell me his leopard install disc since he no longer needs it. it was included with his iMac when he bought it used from eBay.

the disc looks like a retail version...it has the purple "X" on the front. i remember OEM versions of prior OSX discs had a more generic look.

i want to be sure i'm not purchasing an OEM version...does the image on the front mean it's retail? he doesn't know...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple does not have such a thing as an OEM disk. The purple disks with a big X are retail disks. The OSx Install disks are grey and are in pairs. The purple disk will install on most any Mac (up to a point), while the install disks will only work on specific models.

3. ghetto3jon thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, i see. i guess my use of the term "OEM" was not applicable...but you know what i meant. thanks for the reply.

i just wanted to be sure those "machine specific" install discs never came with that purple "X", because that's all i have to go by.

thanks again.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

One thought, your friend doesn't have the right under the EULA of Snow Leopard to pass on his Leopard licence as Snow is sold as an upgrade of Leopard.

Therefore to legally have Snow on his Mac, he needs to hold a Leopard licence.