Leopard display graphics explosion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by goodtimes5, Dec 16, 2007.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Ever since I updated to Leopard a month ago, I've been getting these random glitches in my display. They happen pretty much out of nowhere; this one happened as I was dragging a macrumors page on Safari.

Picture 1.png

I move more windows around, and it gets worse. After a few seconds, I can move windows around and the normal image comes back.

2. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

What computer model do you have? no use scream 'teh broken' without any information.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm guessing by the 1440 x 900 resolution that its imac or macbook pro of some sort?

I would take that back to apple if its still under warranty and it'll probably just be replaced with a new machine, so make sure you take all your documents and stuff off it.

If it's out of warranty, wipe the drive completely clean (after backing up your documents etc) and install leopard again, if it persists still, contact apple, prepare yourself, repairing that will be expensive...

4. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Yeah, it's a MBP CD with 1440x900 screen, bought refurbished a year ago.

I guess I'll reinstall Leopard when I'm free.

5. krimsen macrumors member

So, anything new on this? Since 10.5.4, I'm experiencing this as well. I'm on a 15" MBP CD 2.0 here (ATI X1600). A reboot makes it go away for a random time, sometimes hours, sometimes days.

6. Cadium macrumors member

Did this happen with previous versions of Mac OS X 10.5 (for instance, 10.5.2)? Also, can you try to post the information from the Console around the time that this occurred? You can find the console at /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

7. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Isn't this called the "shards" problem? You might want to search for it, to find out more.

--Erwin

8. krimsen macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

I didn't encounter this thing prior to 10.5.4 and since I rebooted after posting, I did not get this again. When it happens next time, I'll post the console output.

9. krimsen macrumors member

okay, it just happened again on my fully patched 1st gen MBP...

the only console output that's recent (read: all others were at least half an hour ago) is

Aug 04 01:37:58 [66] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXSetWindowListTags: Operation on a window 0x6 not owned by caller SystemUIServer

The first time it happened, I was playing Warcraft III, this time I was running VLC, along with Finder, Mail and iTunes.

10. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Whoa, trippy. I've never seen anything like that on Mac OS.

11. krimsen macrumors member

It still happens in 10.5.5, btw. I hope they fix this soon, cause it's very annoying.

12. durija macrumors 6502

This has happened to me a few times when pushing the video card hard and showing some pretty hot temps. I think it is a hardware issue, not software. I'm heading back to Apple when I can spare the downtime.

13. krimsen macrumors member

well, then. here's to new Macbooks next week with a decent GPU :rolleyes: