Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
How do I change the dock from the current 3D "shelf", to the flat one I've seen on pics (the one that comes up when you switch to the left/right, but I've also read you can select it on the bottom).

Also, I love the way the new top menubar is square now and goes right into the corners, instead of the top corners being rounded. But...applications still appear to have rounded top corners (I'm in Safari at the moment and that certainly does), which looks odd as it leaves a tiny gap between the corners of the window, and the menubar. Anyone else noticed this?

I also hate the new translucent menubar, I wish there was a way to change it to the gradiented grey that was in the Leopard installer...

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
you're welcome...I dont own leopard just yet but turning off the 3d effect will be the first thing I do so I bookmarked the page:D

Yep it is annoying! Aside from the way it looks, it also means the dock takes up more of the screen at the same size, as there's loads of wasted space at the bottom, and then the icons come out over the dock as well obviously. Apple should have given is an official choice in Dock Preferences!

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Yep it is annoying! Aside from the way it looks, it also means the dock takes up more of the screen at the same size, as there's loads of wasted space at the bottom, and then the icons come out over the dock as well obviously. Apple should have given is an official choice in Dock Preferences!

couldn't agree more...an option to turn off the 3D effect would have been nice...maybe they will integrate it in future updates.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
couldn't agree more...an option to turn off the 3D effect would have been nice...maybe they will integrate it in future updates.

This will probably come in 10.6, maybe Apple will also add options to disable stacks, change the icon at the front of them, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.