Leopard doesn't include .RAR extractor by default like Tiger

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Is it possible to get this application that was included in Tiger? I've tried some other 3rd party ones but nothing as snappy as what was included with Tiger.

Anyone?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
why is it better than stuffit?
Because it's better than finicky nigh-abandonware? I've had numerous problems with StuffIt in the past. I finally dropped it for The Unarchiver, which has the added bonus of integrating into the system much more nicely than StuffIt ever did.

Comment

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I'm gonna switch to the Unarchiver... Is uninstalling Stuffit a very involved process? Will using something like AppZapper remove everything?

Comment

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Just some more praise for The Unarchiver. Every Mac owner needs this sofware. As others have said, it's quick, seamless, and very unobtrusive.

Comment

machd

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
it dorsnt handle passworded rars at all. I keep a flash drive with me woth
my important business documents to and from work. I was using stuffit and switched to the unarchiver. Because flash drives are so mobile, i always password protect the files in case i lose it. The passworded rar would not open. I had to get stuffit back to access it.

Comment

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
TBH, I've used Stuffit since I started using Macs (As it came with Panther and does the job) and I've found nothing wrong with it.

Each to their own though I guess.

Comment