Leopard DVD boots, macbook restarts then get screen with apple logo and looping circ

Discussion in 'macOS' started by simmondsjon, Sep 6, 2010.

1. simmondsjon macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Got a macbook running 10.4.11 and got hold of an image of Leopard from work, so burnt it on a dual DVD and put it in my mac. Want to wipe it and upgrade to 10.4.11 to 10.5.

The DVD boots when in Tiger and then I click on install, and it restarts and I'm greeted with a pale blue screen with an apple logo and a spinning white and blue round symbol.

like this:

[​IMG]

I've left it an hour and a half then gave up and rebooted it into Tiger to come on here and ask.

Is it a duff DVD? It comes up at the Tiger screen okay with all the options.

Am I being too impatient? Is an hour and a half too short?

What's the next step? How can I get leopard on this without spending a shed load of money?

Thanks for any replies!

2. simmondsjon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou, but that didn't help at all.

I am an IT technician myself, I doubt there is anything wrong with my mac in the physical sense as Tiger works and has been working okay for years.

Any other ideas?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, if your Mac still boots into 10.4 from your hard drive, you likely have a bad disk or disk drive. If you can get ahold of another disk or an external disk drive (if you have another Mac with FireWire, you can use it's drive), then you can find out for certain.

jW

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is the Leopard the retail version or the grey disc? It sounds like the DVD is the issue, most likely because it's a copy. Try getting your hands on the original retail version

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It doesn't have anything to do with which type of DVD it was. If it was a restore disk, then it would still boot, but would then warn him that he was trying to install on the wrong type of computer, and not allow the installation to continue. I agree that it's probably a bad burn or bad image, though.

jW

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What I've heard from others, mainly long time MR veterans, the issue is that it won't even boot on dissimilar machine.