Leopard DVD help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Markf11, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Markf11 macrumors member

I just got my macbook sent to me, (my first) and my friend who also has a mac would like to use my system disks....i see no problem in this as i have Leopard pre-installed on there

every time he tries,after the system restart it says 'That version cannot be installed on this device' or some such thing

why is this?
    any way around this?
    my friend is envious of my nice new OS :)

we both have white macbooks, mine being 2.2, his being a two month old 2.0 macbook....should it be doing that?

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

system (restore) disks that came w/ the machine no workie in previous generation machines :)

And even if they did, it would be a violation of the EULA anyways, 'cause OS X is only a single user license except when you buy a RETAIL family pack......

tell your friend he'll have to visit www.apple.com/store to cure his envy :D

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) There is a problem here: you are trying to illegally install a copy of Leopard from your DVD on another machine. That copy of Leopard is only licensed for the machine it came with: yours.

2) System Restore DVDs are locked to the class of machine they came with. So your install DVDs will only install on a MacBook similar to yours. If he does not have a MacBook, or perhaps even a different revision MacBook you cannot break the law in the way you want to.

4. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

As good a reason to steal as I have ever heard. What else can you justify stealing out of envy?