leopard dvd not recognized spits out after 30 secs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by body electric, Oct 28, 2007.

1. body electric macrumors newbie

Hello first post and all, anyway recieved Leopard on Friday (26th) and have been trying to get my superdrive to recognize it for the last 2 days! Called Apple support on Friday and they told me to bring it to a local apple repair shop and have it looked at. The thing is I've been reading about the superdrive firmware update 2.1 that may have caused my MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857 to die. One out of 5 movie dvds will play some cd-r's might be burn ready and so far audio cd's work in itunes and can be copied to mp3 format. There is a discussion in apple support I've tried everything that some people might have been successful at but no luck, has anyone gotten to this point where the only logical thing to do is take it in and have the superdrive replaced?

2. body electric thread starter macrumors newbie

bump

3. pfonke macrumors newbie

This turns out to be a pretty common problem -- possibly something to do with the thickness of the DVD. Check out this thread for some fixes, a few of which are pretty unorthodox but apparently successful.

What worked for me was hooking up another Mac in target disk mode (with the DVD in it). Basically you then have an external optical drive, and you're off to the races.

4. body electric thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't believe this upgrade issue. Apple better do something to resolve this, some users don't have an external dvd burner for the quick work around install you suggested.
    I'm going to return the software and get a refund to many problems I've read about the upgrade not worth it.
    :mad::confused:

5. pfonke macrumors newbie

Well, I can't blame you. But keep in mind that mostly what you see on the forums is people who have problems. The majority of people who are humming along without any don't visit the forums and don't post. It's always wise to let others test out the new release before you take the plunge, but I have to say that everything is working great for me -- now that I was able to install it.