leopard dvd player: no video playback on certain DVDs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by claychicken, Dec 26, 2007.

1. claychicken macrumors newbie

Hey guys long time onlooker of this fantastic site and first time poster. I just got a brand spanking new 2.2Ghz SR MBP and it is undoubtedly the greatest piece of technology I have ever had the privilege of using!

Now for my problem: When I tried to play Series One of the TV show 'Shameless' using the leopard DVD player, I could not get any visuals, only a black screen, but I could see the highlighted menu selection items as I passed the cursor over them. The weird thing is, this has not happened to any other dvd I have played, and I have probably tried at least 20 others. The dvd is the correct region, and when played, I do get audio.

I tried to play the same dvd using VLC player, and it worked fine. Now I know I could settle with VLC player, but the new leopard dvd player has a fantastic feature, that when you pause a movie, and then go away and come back, upon playing there is no stutter as the disk spins back up, im assuming because of a larger buffer size. VLC on the other hand hangs as the disk spins back up from rest. This is a big deal for me as I am constantly pausing to go into the kitchen to grab a snack or two. Any help would be really appreciated -- thanks. :)

2. claychicken thread starter macrumors newbie

haha never mind - just did a restart and that fixed it. Weird huh :confused:

3. claychicken thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry no its back again. The other dvds that I tested it on were burnt, but all the commercial dvds I play on the MBP have this problem. Could just be a leopard bug - anyone have any suggestions?

4. baga71 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem yesterday.
    With ALL my DVD...
    I can hear sound of the menu but there's just a black screen.
    Then I restarted the system and now it works...
    Anyone has any hint about this problem?

5. claychicken thread starter macrumors newbie

yes thankyou - that is the exact same problem. All my dvds don't work but a restart fixes it. Such a shame considering everything else is perfect with my new mbp :( Please.....anyone - fixes???

6. MalcW macrumors newbie

Similar playback issue

I have bought a 2.2 GHz MBPro with 10.5.1. Certain DVDs just don't play. Sound... but black screen. Hovering mouse over the "titles" highlights the "buttons" but not the names so you have no idea what scenes you are selecting. Even if you select one you get sound again but no video.

Similar problem on the G5 that used to have 10.3.9 installed (boy was that stable) it now has 10.5.1 and sometimes it won't even play a DVD and the whole thing locks up. I get an error code 69902.

In the first case a restart seems to clear the problem although it does return later for no apparent reason.

The G5 is the same - restart or not ...BUT

IF .. you play the DVD through Front Row (using the remote on the MBPro and the Keyboard on the G5) the DVDs all play fine.

Is this weird or not?

Final word is that I have to say that my experience with 10.5.1. overall has not been good. Some great new features but

iPhoto is chronically slow (maybe iLife 08 and not Leopard)
    The whole machine is slow. Spinning beach-balls are a way of life now
    Kernel panics
    iDVD will not open projects made in earlier versions
    Time Machine stalls sometimes and can take upwards of an hour to do a simple incremental back up.
    Frequent freezes - the dock, iPhoto, The finder itself. Lost count of the number of re-boots.:mad:

All in all - 10.3.9 and iLife 04 were brilliant compared to Leopard and iLife 08.

The MB Pro is marginally better but even it is not perfect.

I'm getting the impression that both Leopard and iLife 08 were pushed onto the market a bit before they had been fully tested. They feel like Beta programs. Let's hope Apple gets some updates out on both these soon.

MalcW

7. Montserrat macrumors regular

Any news on this. The problem is still there in 10.5.2 on my 2.4Ghz MBP

8. MalcW macrumors newbie

OK try this.

I too have upgraded both the MBP and the G5 with 10.5.2. Now in fairness I have not tried to use DVD player for a while - until your message. In fact both the MBP and the G5 seem to perform OK! Am I happy or what!

Now - the question I ask - is this linked to the fact that I upgraded my TechTool Deluxe to Tech Tool Pro (I had the earlier version of TechTool Pro that would not work with the G5 or the MBP in Leopard). Before upgrading to 10.5.2 I booted both computers from the CD that TechTool sent (mainly to prove that both would in fact boot from the CD - which they did). While it was booted up I was presented with the option of running diagnostics and running repairs on what would otherwise have been the start-up disc i.e the hard drive. I was amazed at the number of "faults" that TechTool Pro found. I decided to apply the recommendations and then re-booted each computer in the normal way. Quite honestly I saw little difference with the MBP. But with the G5 I did note several improvements - including an odd one where selecting "sleep" from the Apple menu prior to the "repair" meant a wait of up to 40 seconds before the computer slept. After the "repair" the computer sleeps immediately.

What I did NOT do was check out DVD player after this "repair" - so I regretfully cannot comment on whether this repair fixed anything there or not.

However the current result today is that with 10.5.2 on BOTH machines DVD player works fine. So, was it the "repair" that fixed it? I guess I'll never know.

Just remember if you do decide to try a repair, before repairing anything make sure you have a back-up!

Good luck