Leopard DVD with new mac-is this customized?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gusious, Aug 13, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hi.

In 4 days i'll get a MBP 17''.

In the box there must be a Leopard DVD.

Does any of you know if this DVD is customized?Because i want to do a clean install to a MBP 15'' but i don't know if it's going to work or i'll cause trouble...

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You can just use the leopard DVD that came with your 15" MBP. The one that you get with the 17" one I don't think will work.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The restore DVDs include are customized for that model, down to the specific revision.

4. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

The problem is that my 15 MBP came with Tiger but i was one of those who could bought DVD Leopard Upgrade.And i did bought that.

But shouldn't i first install Tiger and then Leopard?

-Now i'm running Leopard but not from the upgrade cd.From the original one(a cousin of mine bought it so he installed that to me too)-

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So ... problem solved?

Or, you're running leopard, but want to do a fresh install? If that is the case, you'll need to install tiger from the restore DVDs and then leopard immediately afterward. Unless you can get you hands on the friend's disc again.

The 17" restore DVDs will not work.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not correct, if a person has a Mac with OS X (any version) installed they can use the Leopard upgrade disc to do a full erase of the previous version of OS X and install Leopard, all done from the same Leopard upgrade disc.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Isn't that what I said? Doesn't the upgrade drop-in disc require a previous version? I remember seeing that somewhere.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I think it is like the Windows *shudder* upgrade discs, where if you wipe the system and use it will ask for your previous disc to verify that you qualify.

TEG

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, I'm not sure, my MB is older so I had to buy Leopard.

10. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

If I remember correctly, the upgrade disc won't install leopard and ask for the tiger disc just to verify, you have to install tiger and then upgrade, witch is really bad.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Then it's your bad for not reading what the OP said. He said he had Tiger already installed on his MBP. You're telling him to install Tiger first then Leopard. Check your OWN post. He doesn't need the restore discs to reformat the computer, he can use the Leopard upgrade disc.

12. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

He also said he wants to do a clean install.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, this will be the last time I will mention this because apparently some people here are on a brain freeze. YOU DON'T NEED THE TIGER RESTORE DISCS TO ERASE, REFORMAT AND INSTALL LEOPARD. HE CAN USE THE LEOPARD UPGRADE DISC AS LONG AS TIGER IS ALREADY INSTALLED ON HIS MBP WHICH IT IS.

15. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Damn...So i have to options right?Or to send my MBP to my cousin to re install original leopard or install myself Tiger and then leopard right?

:(

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ok, I was a little tired. Got it.

If you want to do a clean install, just insert the upgrade disc, and it will give you the option to erase and install - since tiger is currently installed.