Leopard (English 10.4 to Japanese 10.5?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonDownin, Oct 24, 2007.

1. JonDownin macrumors member

I am currently living in Japan and really want to get Leopard, but my MBP is an an English version and am wondering if I can simply walk into an apple store (here in Japan), pick up a copy and install the English version. I know when you buy any language version you can simply flip the language settings in System Preferences and I just want to confirm that the Japanese version will upgrade an English version of Tiger with no hick-ups. Thanks.

2. snowy2004 macrumors member

Sorry, I not sure of this but I must assume that if you can switch to Japanese in any version of Tiger (Which I think it can - don't know Japanese), the "Japanese" version of Leopard must simply be the normal Leopard in Japanese packaging. I see no reason for Apple to make a separate version.

3. Absolute macrumors newbie

Jon

Assuming it's the same as the Beta and previous releases of Tiger, it's only the outer packaging that is localised.

Just select whichever language you want after booting from the DVD, then it will install in that language.

BTW, check using Disk Utility, the drive and permissions before installing.
    Also there are a few older startup items that won't work in Leopard, so before you install, it's worth preventing these from running until you're happy all is well with 10.5

Good luck, and Time Machine is worth the bother if you have a spare HD

Mike

4. bailey35mm macrumors newbie

All the OS X discs are the same, ie. have English, Japanese etc. Only the packaging is localized. This has been the case with all the Apple software I have bought here in Japan. I even bought my Mbp in Nagoya and they even changed the keyboard to the US style and then you choose the language at first power up.

5. nutts macrumors member

Me too. Bought my MBP last December in Japan, and the store switched the keyboard for a US one. I also bought Aperture there (sooooo much cheaper) and installed that in English no problem.

Ordered the Leopard Family Pack from the Japanese Apple Store, and it shipped yesterday so should be delivered tomorrow or Friday :D

Because of the yen it's cheaper than in the UK, and I'll be sharing it with my brother and father (and splitting the cost) when I return to the UK next time. I'm conscience is happy to share it with my family despite not living together any more; after all it is the 'Family Pack' ;)