Leopard family pack. quick question...

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
My brother and I are both at Uni. Are we allowed to purchase a family pack as we both have the same 'home' address (we are in separate houses at uni, but obviously we go back to the same home during holidays etc) I have a Macbook and an imac, he has a MBP, and there is also another imac at home, so a family pack would be far cheaper for all of us.

Would it be ok to buy it?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You are covered by the Family Pack license only if both you and your brother live on-campus. I quote from the Apple web page:

"By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location."

Comment

FDX

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2006
I would think if your legal residence is listed at home and not the University then a family pack wold be fine. But thats just how I see it.

"By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location."

Comment

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
When it says on campus, does that mean basically a uni student? I don't live on campus as I'm a 2nd year and didnt want to stay in halls so I'm living in a house woth mates, but my billing address etc is still my home address

Comment

parafish13

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
East Lansing, MI
When it says on campus, does that mean basically a uni student? I don't live on campus as I'm a 2nd year and didnt want to stay in halls so I'm living in a house woth mates, but my billing address etc is still my home address
That's perfectly ethical in my book. I'm in the same situation as you and see no problem with being a family member using the "family" pack.

Comment

BreederCreature

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2007
CT, USA
If 5 of my friends got together and bought a family pack, could we all install it on our respective macbooks? We don't live together, go to the same schools, or work off the same network.

I'm just wondering if this in an honor system type thing or if one person installing it would end up prevent the rest of us from installing it.

Thanks!

Comment