Leopard--Family pack split with friends?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .JahJahwarrior., Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

A friend emailed me this morning and suggested that he buy the "Family Pack" of Leopard, that way he and his girlfriend and I could all have it, and if we all pitched in $50, then he'd get it for $100, and we'd get it for $50, and we'd all be happy.

1) Is this legal?
    2) Is this ethical?
    3) Are there any "snags" or "cons" to doing this?
    4) If the answers are "yes," "yes," and "no," then why doesn't every do it to save money?

I told him I'd get back to him, because I want to know the answers to those questions.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

It's against the SLA.

Legality is a grey area, I think. Some say it's illegal because it contravenes copyright issues. Other's say it's a civil issue.

Ethically it's a BIG no!!

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Technically it's against the EULA. Not a criminal issue but a civil issue. However it's doubtful that Apple is ever going to do anything about it (and if they did, you could say you were living with them at the time).

Ethically (to me at least), I don't see the problem. You're paying for 5 licenses. It's more ethical than buying a single license and installing it on all three of your machines, or just pirating it.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

1) Yes, but it's unlawful. (UK definitions - legal = not criminal, lawful refers to civil law, eg breach of contract).
    2) Depends on your ethics.
    3) See 1) above
    4) Because of 1)

5. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

1. It is against the copywrite clames for the family pack... Unless you all seem to live together. In the same household. So technically it is legal.

2. for ethics if you put aside the copywrite clames, if that doesn't seem to bother you ethically. I guess other then that I would be OK you are putting in on less then 5 computers then you keeping to the general agreement.

3. Other then being illegal You got the question on who owns the disk, and keeps them. And if someone needs to reinstall and the other person is out then you are stuck. Of if you break up with your friend/girlfriend then you got more issues with that.

4. A lot of people don't do this first because it is illegal if that doesn't bother them then they will get a single user version and share it. Next people want a copy of their own This is my software. Third sometimes you may not find an other Mac User you like enough to do this. Forth if something does go wrong with your media and you need to return it it is easier if you are the only one waiting not everyone else. Fifth not everyone takes care of the meda just as well as you. Sixth if they did something more illegal say selling Burned DVDs of your OS then you can be held responcible too. Seventh It is just easier to buy it yourself then deal with the politics of it.

6. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok....see, they live together some of the time and will soon be married, so legally and ethically it's not apparently a huge problem for them. I don't live in the same house, infact right now I'm living two hours away.....:)

Thanks guys, I didn't want to read all the fine print. I'll pass on it!

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Where do you plan on getting LFP for $150?

Last I checked it's $189 (Amazon) or $199 (Apple).

8. atarin macrumors regular

I believe he meant that the purchaser would pay $100, the purchaser's girlfriend would pay $50, and he would pay $50, so that covers the price of the LFP.

9. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

^exactly. but Im not going to do it, so....they'll probably buy two student discount versions since they are both students.

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I can understand why you might be reluctant to take legal advice from people who confuse EULAs with SLAs and cannot spell "copyright" but the advice above is (otherwise) on track.

Family Packs from Apple are for "up to five computers in one household" and unless you and your mates are all roommates then it's not in compliance with the license.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would imagine it is legal, and absolutely ethical. I mean you paid for it didn't you? Do whatever you want. I will admit that if you don't live in the same house it might be borderline legal, and ethics would only be determined on the legality. Illegal=unethical, legal=ethical.

I interpret 'family pack' to be nothing more than a synonym for multi-pack. I have no reason to believe that you have to be related to use the software.

12. Zegna macrumors member

My thoughts exactly. Since I personally, think that very close friends are more or less equal to family members.

Although like someone mentioned earlier, the main concerns for anyone attempting to do this are dealing with the politics of it, such as which one of the five will actually safekeep the DVD, and the dire consequences if one of the five stray out of the agreement and illegaly distributes his/her share.

13. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

The family pack is for 5 people/computers of the same household to use. You can't just arbitrarily pick five different people or computers.

The guidelines are specific, but it is up to the user whether or not they want to follow them.

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think Apple may even agree with the above, as long as everyone lives together. They do require that all five copies of the software be used at the same address. A better title might have been "Residential site license". But I'm sure the marking people wanted the more friendly sounding name on the box.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

From Apple's website:

My question is what about us non-profits? Can't really afford the $129 per computer on 10 different computers. MS gives us non-profits a heafty discount ($35 per copy of MS Office Premium).

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you have to ask this question then you are taking it too seriously. The Family Pack is a cute name for "5 Licenses" not that you have to be a blood relative to someone or have the computer in the same house.

Legally speaking, Apple doesn't care, as long as the license is on one computer and none other. Ethically.... people these days don't have ethics... let's move on. No, seriously an ethical questions is one for you to decide, since ethics relates more to a person's or groups behavior, as opposed to what is law, or fact.

Even on a religious stand point, putting the family pack on five computers that belong to three different people is in no way considered stealing, since you have 5 licenses to use.

That's because MS is a money grubbing company. They make us poor schmuck consumers pay $400 each for the full version of Vista and Office, and if we need a second copy for our laptop we either have to break the law (which many do if we can) or pony up the $400 for another copy.

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

This is true. But then again the speed limit is 65 mph, and downloading music is illegal and jay-walking isn't legal. I can't say I'd exactly start playing by the rules on this one either.

Ultimately I think it's more of an ethical question than a legality issue. From my perspective I see nothing wrong with spreading the multi-pack amongst others not living together.

18. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I just hope that all these people who apparently have no trouble violating the spirit and letter of the family pack licensing lead to Apple deciding to stop selling family packs of their consumer software.

19. PriceJacobs macrumors newbie

Family Pack *fresh information*

According to the people at the 1-800, I currently live where I work and my wife at home. She said that is okay because it is same family. The point brought up about only having one disc could get tricky. The main point she made over the phone was that not to go over the five and that they do track that and that they do not track where you use it.

20. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

This thread needs to get locked already. The answer has been repeated several times. Whether you choose to break the license agreement is your business.

21. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

C'mon we all know that at MR we answer questions and then beat them into the ground until they're bloody red. And then we beat them some more.

22. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

This is MacRumors. After the horse is dead we skin it and learn to play drums.

23. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We've done more than beat this one into the ground.

The fact remains that Apple's license agreement for the family pack requires that all computers be in the same residence. The only exception to this is that a student away at college whose permanent residence remains with the primary household may be included in the family pack.

Regardless of what you choose to do in your home, encouraging others to violate the license is not permitted here at MacRumors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.