Leopard Family Pack

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johny5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well, it finally arrived from Play.com today but i was wondering a couple of things.
    Firstly, looks like there is nothing special on the disk itself so I presume its the same copy as all other Leopards (I know theyre all the same but one would have assumed a "family pack" stamp on the disk or something?)

The other thing is that it looks like the book is a standard print, so is the only thing that shows I have a Family Pack license, this tiny small black sticker on the box saying "Family Pack fr use on up to 5 computers"!?

I was going to ask about backing up the disk so i can use this on all 4 Macs as I dont want to damage the disk but I think there are lots of threads about that so I will have a look.
    ta :)

2. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't make the bulk of their money from software. Microsoft does. So, for Apple to put all kinds of countermeasures in place to protect their software licensing is counterintuitive because it ends up costing more to go after someone than to just use the honor system. And it seems to work for the most part. Apple doesn't have to clutter their packaging with unaesthetic warnings, they collect some marginal revenue, and they don't lose tons of money spending countless hours in litigation against some individuals for a remuneration that isn't worth the legal and PR cost.

I bought the family pack even knowing that Apple doesn't really use a different disk. Why? Because I have three computers at home and it's the fair and legal thing to do.

Besides, I make many times the cost of the software back on a daily basis on my Apple stock.

:D

3. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

You should be able to just make a copy of the disk using toast or create a disk image and then burn that to a DVD. However, you will need a Dual Layer DVD to do that. Then you can keep your original copy save.

4. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Thanks for the replies, to be perfectly honest I am totally happy with the pricing of the family pack as I too have 4 macs (and buying a macbook for my duaghter for xmas) so its great value for money.
    I just thought it a little slack of apple to publish their products then stick a small sticker on the box saying family pack, it like if this sticker were to come off who would know that I bought a family pack?
    Hey i'm not complaining, I love the Apple :D