Leopard Family Pack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mysonictrth, May 13, 2008.

1. mysonictrth macrumors newbie

Hi, i was looking through another thread kind of related to my question but I didn't find an exact answer. Myself and 3 other roommates (4 total) want to upgrade to Leopard. We figured we can just get the family pack since according to Apple students in housing count as "family" since we live in the same place. But we all graduate in a year and a half...so we'll be moving away. Will be then be violating the family pack rules, will it know that we aren't living together anymore, etc? Would it be okay if we went with the family pack to save us some money?

Apple* The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

2. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I think not.

Apple talks about household in terms of a family. When they talk about students they are referring to the primary residence, i.e. where your family lives. So, your parents could buy the family pack and you could install a copy on your machine and use it even when you are living in a student residence, but a bunch of students living together would not constitute a family since technically, your student accommodation is not your primary residence even if you live there most of the year.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't think they'd get you for it though. If you buy a family pack, that's doing more than most college students, who might just share copies of leopard.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, your really honest to even think about it, you could buy one copy of leopard, burn 5 copies, and apple would never even know, so I think you're fine and I wouldn't worry about it too much...

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Don't do it. Apple is going to burst through your windows with their highly elite swat team to bust you.

6. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I'd get the single user version. I've installed it on all the family member machines that live in my house and so far no problems (crosses fingers).

7. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Don't do it. I will report it to the FBI. lol.