Leopard Feature Requests

Discussion in 'macOS' started by un1ty, Oct 29, 2007.

1. un1ty macrumors member

I haven't seen a thread like this yet, so I figured it might be good to start one.

• Drag-and-Drop within Screen Sharing (my favorite Leopard feature).

• Screen Share a virtual display or Space (a la ScreenRecycler)

• Window overlay preference for Spotlight results (like Quicksilver). I hate the placement of spotlight right now. Or even give Spotlight a dock icon so results can show up right there on the dock.

• Time Machine over AEBS!!!!!!!! Seriously, I hope this is just an update away.

• Customizable Mail Stationary. I don't want my stationary to look like everyone else's! Or maybe a 3rd party can create an app for this functionality.

• This is minor but still... If you're going to start using rounded rectangles then go all the way. For instance, this is what I would do about highlighted menu options:

[​IMG]

PS Graphite for Appearance and Highlight Color is where it's at!

2. un1ty thread starter macrumors member

This is kind of a crazy idea. How about using Screen Sharing to load Boot Camp? So it becomes kind of like a virtual machine but running natively. If they enable that fast user switching for Boot Camp, then maybe this could be a possibility.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

4. un1ty thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to add one that I think should have been obvious.

The Spaces icon should show a real-time preview of what's in each virtual space (if you use the default 4). It would also be cool to be able to Option+Click on each corner of the icon for it to directly take you to that Space.

C'mon Apple, if you can make the iCal icon show the current date, you should be able to make the Spaces icon update dynamically!

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

I just have 3 for Front Row.

Make the Volume indicator a lot bigger so I can see it (preferably like the old Front Row but with that nice blue look).

Make the progress bar a lot bigger so I can see it (size of old Front Row, new Front Row style)

Ask me if I would like to resume.

6. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I want the old front row interface back... or at least the old transition.

I know some people don't like it (the old one), so make it a preference, as well as the 2d/3d dock/opaqueness of the menu bar.

...more to come as i think of them.

7. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I'd like it if iTunes had an option that could make it independent of spaces when it's in mini-player mode.

I like to have the iTunes mini-player in the bottom left corner, floating above all windows. If it could have the option to remain there even if I change spaces, that would be great.

And definitely Front Row getting back the "resume playing" option, as well as the cool intro animation and being able to keep the music playing when you enter FR.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Restore files in Trash and delete only some at a time. Have an option for bigger icons/text in Finder's sidebar. Fix Repairing Permissions.

9. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Customise TimeMachine backup intervals

Ability to customise TimeMachine's back up intervals... once an hour is overkill for me, and it fills up my backup disc too quickly.

I end up excluding a lot of stuff from the backup that I normally wouldn't, because the backup at the moment only goes back about 18 hours (500GB internal drive, backing up to a WD MyBook Pro 500GB external).

I googled this idea, and apparently there is a way to do this using Unix with Administrator access via Terminal by editing TM's plist file, but a user friendly option would be much better.

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You can format a message how you want and then go to File--Save as Stationery and it shows up in the Custom section of the stationery picker.

This company is also selling a pack of stationery templates:

http://www.equinux.com/us/products/stationery/index.html

11. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Got another one....

Be able to make Stacks out of any group of items, not just a folder.

Since there's a limit to how many items a stack can show, even in Grid mode, I was trying to put only my most often used apps in a stack. So I selected a bunch of them and tried to drag them into the Dock. Nothing happened of course, but it seems like an obvious use for stacks.

That way you don't have to make a new folder, fill the folder with aliases or move the programs into that folder, and then drag it into the Dock.

I think that'd be a cool feature. That way you can drag 2 or more items and make them a stack without having to make them a folder.

Maybe there could also be an option to make it into a folder, should you decide you wanted that after putting it into the Dock. You can right-click the stack and there could be a "Create Folder..." command which either saves it to the desktop, or asks you where you want it with a save dialogue. Maybe even an extra option to make the folder contain aliases of those items so it doesn't actually move them.

12. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

customised mail stationary is possible!

It's possible, i did it too:
    http://www.jdempsey.com/how-to-create-customized-osx-mail-stationery-in-leopard/

I think leopard needs redesigned folder icons. They're horrible and very badly legible