Leopard Finder Beach-ball?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bericd, Sep 17, 2007.

1. bericd macrumors member

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but....

Has anyone running Leopard tried to re-create the issue in Tiger when the Finder will beach-ball for ever (I'm not just talking 10-15 secs) when trying to access an off-line network drive or idisk etc?

This behavior in Tiger is driving me nuts, and if they fix it in Leopard I will buy it on day 1.

Cheers,

Beric..

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

It might not be an OS problem. I think the problem is when the computer you are trying to connect to does not respond immediately to network pings and such, or it does respond and then takes a forever while doing something else. I know what you are talking about and I have had the same problems with windows.

Of course it could also be that some windows machines have trouble connecting to macs and vice versa.

3. bericd thread starter macrumors member

It even happens with idisk. If I'm at home I can use my idisk, but when I come to work I have to go theough the proxy. If I click on the idisk my macbook pro just starts beachballing until I reset it.

Apple should have a saner timeout policy, and not freeze out the whole computer the way it does. Even if the other server is not responding, I consider this to be a fault with OSX - it should be able to recover gracefully.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It's not forever. It's 2 minutes.

I know I have a bug in against this for Tiger. Hopefully it will be fixed.

5. bericd thread starter macrumors member

I know, but it seems like forever when your computer is paralysed :(

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think it would be better if networking wasn't integrated into Finder ala os9. That way if there is a freeze, it doesn't take out Finder - only the Network Browser.