Leopard Finder Folder Size Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris.niziolek, Nov 22, 2007.

1. chris.niziolek macrumors member

I found something annoying with the leopard finder and view info with folder size. For example, the system folder thinks its 562.5MB, but the Library folder one level into the system folder is 3.25GB. Why does the system folder not add the sizes of all the other folders under it? Is there any way to change a plist file or something so that it does this?

Attached Files:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It is supposed to do that. Must just be a glitch of some type. If you let it sit for a while, does it recalculate a larger size on the System folder?

jW

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Press option when right/ctrl clicking the folder. It will then have 'show inspector' rather than 'get info'. It will then calculate the size including sub folders.

4. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I have the exact same problem. Leopard absolutely sucks with calulating folder sizes. Tiger wasn't the greatest but it worked a lot better for me. When I use the inspector it will just sit there forever sometimes and won't return a size. So half the time its not the right size or won't calculate a size at all. The option to "calculate all sizes" in the view menu won't even stay checked when I restart the computer half the time.

5. betterdays macrumors member

Oh how I'm glad to see it's not "only me, once more" !!
    I just upgraded to Leopard, and while moving my data from backup to machine, I notice wildly different folder sizes.
    First of all let me mention that since Mac Day One (january 2007), I've always used the inspector to deal with sizes (how could Command+I on a bunch of files ever be useful when it simply opens a corresponding myriad of info windows, try that with 100 files, LOL).

Right now the inspector says my System folder is 290MB. Then I go down one level, believe it or not, inside there is only one folder "Library". And this bloody lonely folder is... 3.41GB !!
    Same when the directory contains multiple files. Command+A shows the correct size, but up one level and the size is incorrect.
    Even funnier, I went to (root):Library and clicked on "Address Book Plug-ins". Inspector says it's calculating the size. I browse the contents and... surprise ! it's empty !
    Selecting all items on the root, I see 135GB. But the disk shows 137.9GB used ! how are we supposed to work reliably ?

I don't recall having such a problem with Tiger. Or with Windows XP (cough cough).
    Damn... they add a nifty path bar and quick view, but break the size feature.

6. Megananoo macrumors newbie

Wha??

@Mal
    What do you mean "it is supposed to do that?" How is that a feature? I'm migrating a user's account from 10.4 to 10.5 on a new machine, and getting a peek at file sizes as I go helps me know if all the data has made it across. So... if I can't reliably tell how big files and folders are, it's just a crap-shoot isn't it? Has ANYONE found a solution for this problem?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I meant that it's supposed to show the correct size of the folder including subfolders. I didn't mean that the behavior the OP was seeing was the correct behavior.

jW

8. betterdays macrumors member

Yes, relaunching the Finder usually fixes it. But you won't necessarily know the size is wrong, and this is annoying. Very dangerous when moving data. Apple should be ashamed of such a bug.