Leopard Finder help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac OS X Ocelot, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

1) Is there an easy way to get a folder that has its own view options to use the defaults? I see the button to make the current view options the default, but not vice versa. Before Leopard, as we all know, there were radio buttons that did this.

2) Is there a way to make all new Finder windows to open with the same size/dimensions without opening each folder up with the Dock and resizing them yourself?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

When opening a folder in which you like how it's set out, open View Options (Command + J) and there's a button at the bottom "Use As Defaults". Guess what that does :p

As for keeping windows the same size, I wish I knew, it upsets me no end that sometimes certain finder windows are wider than I would like, and I have to resize them, but then it's not set system wide. If I knew how to set s system wide default for the size of windows, I;d tell you, hopefully in a few hours some enterprising mac geek will have the answer, for both of us.

3. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

To the first part: that button makes the view of the current folder the default view. That is, if i'm viewing Documents and like how I like it set up, i can press that button and all defaulted folders will look like that. What I'm wondering is if you have a folder, say Movies, that has its own special view options set but you want it to use the default view options you set with Documents in example one, how would you go about it? That button sets the folder's view options to BE the defaults not to set the view options as the default view options were already set.

It's confusing for me to try to explaining as it is for you to read that.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Could you go back to the documents folder and click "Defaults" button again, then go back and the movie folder should be the same, bearing in mind it should of been the same already anyway as you must of clicked "Defaults" before :p

5. Mac OS X Ocelot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

That doesn't do what I'm asking, but thanks for trying. Here's a little excersize so maybe you can understand what I'm, in a very poor way, trying to explain:

Take two folders on your mac that are set to the default view (we'll call them Documents and Movies). Show view options for Movies and mess with the settings. Change the icon size, grid size, text size, lable position, etc. Now open your Documents' view options and mess with it (but in a different way so it doesn't look like your Movies folder's options). Make Documents view options the default by pressing the button. Oh! You like those options! You want Movies to adopt your Documents folder's new view options as its own. Pressing the button would only make the Movies folder view options the default, not change them to reflect your Documents folder's new settings that you want for your Movies. So far as I can see, the only way to make your Movies folder to reflect your default (Documents) view options is to manually change them to be the same or not change them in the first place (oops, we did though). Pre-Leopard there were radio buttons that let you mess with both the All Windows (Default) view options and that particular window's as well as switch back and forth between the two easily.

6. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

I think that options gone, you'll just have to open up your default preferences, and make them match.

As for window sizes, that annoys me too, but I've just opened all of my "common" windows, and put them in the same spot, with the same sizes. Should be easier, but alas, is not.

7. haravikk macrumors 65816

The view options thing (not being able to set TO default) annoys me no end as well. I have a folder that seems to like switching its view options for no good reason, and I don't know why.

It used to be that .DS_Store files contained this information, but deleting them for a folder doesn't seem to cause it to "inherit" the defaults, in fact it has no effect at all, which would seem to imply that folder layout has been moved somewhere else now!

This is really annoying, as it was a perfectly sensible feature to have =(

8. shrimppesto macrumors newbie

if you option-click that same button that everyone's talking about, you can revert a folder to its default views.

9. DirtWarden macrumors newbie

ShrimpPesto, you may be small and smell like pine nuts ;), but you're a genius. Thanks for solving a problem I've had for a long time!