leopard freezes on screensaver

Discussion in 'macOS' started by manhattanmania, Jun 17, 2008.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

hey all

lately my computer has been freezing during screensaver. not at the beginning necessarily, at random times when the screensaver is on. i never see it occur, i always go back to my computer and the computer is totally frozen and the only thing to do is hold down the power button to shut it down and restart.

any ideas on what that could be? (possibly related: a couple of weeks ago at night the computer randomly shut down twice while sleeping)

thanks!

2. bombardier.v2 macrumors member

bombardier.v2

I wondered if anyone had any updates on this? It's an old thread, but I still have the same problems now, using 10.5.6, so it obviously hasn't been fixed in any updates!

I run a Rumpus FTP server, which I can still connect to, so it's not like the whole Mac has crashed. The screensaver is frozen, key combinations such as Apple-Tab do nothing, and I can't connect to the Mac using Remote Desktop once this has happened. As per the previous poster, the only way I seem to be able to get it back is to hold the power button down to switch it off. I'm wondering if it is the screen saver that is at fault, or Energy Saver.

Anyone have any ideas on crash logs or anything that I could check to try and find the cause?

3. michaelkepler macrumors newbie

fix, but not a solution

as I was going through the usual key combinations to wake up my computer, or at least get it restarted without having to reach for the powerbutton ;), I found that the Alt-Opt-Eject (sleep) combination actually put the computer to sleep. Then all I had to do was wake it up with a random keystroke... Still a disturbing phenomenon tho!

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Alt and Option are the same button..

5. michaelkepler macrumors newbie

Ok.
    My bad.
    But what's the point in pointing that out and not giving the correction? Smartass.

(Cmd-Alt-Eject, that is.)

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Because I didn't know that shortcut, jeez.