Leopard Frustrations

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calvin2006, Nov 5, 2007.

1. calvin2006 macrumors regular

I've been using Leopard for a week now, and I have started to compile a list of things that are not working or not working as advertised. I'm planning to call AppleCare to see if they can help fix any of these. List your issues in this thread (not issues related to third-party software, but non-cosmetic Leopard issues):

1. Internet connection frequently drops. I can get it back by switching back and forth from Ethernet to Airport, but that gets really old really fast. My Tiger iBook consistently maintains its connection, so it must be Leopard.

2. Spotlight does not work when searching shared Macs. The same Spotlight search in Leopard on my iBook returns 3 items on the Leopard iMac but over 90 on my iBook. Why is it missing 87+ items in its search of a shared Mac?

3. Leopard's Spotlight does not find images in iPhoto '08 when searching keywords/titles in the Finder. I have to search for the filename to find an image. What's that about? Tiger and iLife '05 play nice, why not Leopard and iLife '08?

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

interesting on the dropping the connection frequently, mine does the same, and I was fixing it the same way, by switching back and forth from ethernet or airport. Interestingly enough, our dorm network was acting up and going out all the time the whole week before I got Leopard, so I just assumed it was still doing that, and that Leopard was able to still pick it up through wireless. I wonder if that is the case, or if the network is fine and it is Leopard's fault I keep losing the connection.:apple:

for the searching problem number 2, to another computer, the problem could be somehow the folders are locked from search results over network, can you access the folders and files from your shared computer that is doing the searching??:apple:

3. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Is it dropping on Wireless or Wired connection? or both?

2. Spotlight does not work when searching shared Macs. The same Spotlight search in Leopard on my iBook returns 3 items on the Leopard iMac but over 90 on my iBook. Why is it missing 87+ items in its search of a shared Mac?

Funnily enough I had exact opposite.. Tigers spotlight never seemed to find images but now I can search in spotlight for info i specified in the files Description in iPhoto '08 and it works ok. Obviously its not quite perfected yet!

4. calvin2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, in fact, it shows some files in a single folder but not others! I have four documents with the file names What Grace Teaches, Part X, with X being a different number in each file name. These files are all stored in the same folder, and Spotlight only returns three of the four files when searching shared Macs.

5. calvin2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Both.

6. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

If you do the same spotlight search on the machine that actually has the files, does it find all of them? could be a corrupt spotlight index on that machine.

7. calvin2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, finds them all beautifully. That's one reason why it's so confusing and frustrating.