Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Here's my problem: We have a PowerMac G5/1.8GHz in our office and I'm trying to get Leopard on it. But the drive won't read the DVD. Keeps spitting it out. I tested the DVD in our other computers, and it works fine. I tested other DVDs in the G5 drive, and they work fine. So it's not the disc or the drive.

So I thought I'd boot the install disc to my MBP, connect the G5 in target disk mode, and install that way. But it won't install to the G5 drive unless I format the drive to GUID. But that's for Intel-based computers, and this is PPC. I'm assuming it's requiring that because the computer I'm booted into is my Intel MBP.

I don't have another PPC in the office. Anyone have a suggestion for getting Leopard on my G5?

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Is your computer still under warranty? Do you have applecare? If you do (or don't) try bringing it to the genius bar at your local apple store. No need to do all this formatting work.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Nope. It's a 4-year-old computer, so no warranty. Maybe I need to find an external DVD drive or something. Not sure where, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.