Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Anyone else having the same problem?

I've just installed Leopard on my Dual 2.7Ghz G5 and now the fans are going mental. I even installed the Processor preference pane so that I could disable napping, but this doesn't seem to have made any conceivable difference.
The fans are really blowing, even whilst using something light like Mail or Safari.

:confused:

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Has your machine finished indexing? The fans on my lil' 'ol G4 did the same until such time as Spotlight was sorted. No issues previously with my Intel lappy or desktop though, but the G4 was whirling during the process.

andy.barron

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Bedford, England
still on tiger, but have you tried changing your processor setting to 'highest' as a pose to 'auto'?

worked for me on Tiger.

Apart from that, is the OS as lush as it looks?:)

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Indexing has finished, yeh.
I've tried doing all the tricks with the processor settings that working in Tiger, but the only thing that seems to work is by setting the processor performace to 'reduced'. Hmmm...

The OS is slick as hell though. Such a pleasure to use, and a genuine feeling that is has been very loved during it's development.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Guys.. I'm having the same problem on my Single 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5. The fans go berserk for no reason.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Try resetting the NVRAM, PRAM, etc. That has generally fixed that issue in the past. Sometimes the settings for the fan can become corrupted.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
So the fans are running permanently?

I remember on my G5 Dual 2.7 the fans would go full blast all the time for seemingly no reason at all...

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Anyone else having the same problem?

I've just installed Leopard on my Dual 2.7Ghz G5 and now the fans are going mental. I even installed the Processor preference pane so that I could disable napping, but this doesn't seem to have made any conceivable difference.
The fans are really blowing, even whilst using something light like Mail or Safari.

:confused:

Try resetting the PMU, see if that helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.