Leopard goes into DEEP SLEEP and doesn't want to wake

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superman666, Jan 6, 2008.

1. superman666 macrumors regular

Sometimes when I put my MBP 2.4GHZ to sleep it really doesn't want to wake back up. I wait about 5 minutes, and it wakes up again with an unpleasant surprise.... the mouse is ridiculously jerky, and it won't quit it.

I don't really care about the mouse, but how the computer just doesn't like waking up... Anyone else have this problem?

2. Chafka macrumors member

My wife has been complaining about this type of thing on her ppc mini for a while now. I don't think your alone.

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It sounds like some application or process is hanging on wake-up. That means the CPU usage spikes and causes the system to stall.

What apps were running before you put the MBP to sleep? Are you connected to any network shares?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Network shares are one thing to look at, but only if you've got a file open on one--Leopard is WAY better about dropped share connections than any previous MacOS. Perpetual beachball stalls on network volume loss were all too common under 10.3, but now I just get the polite little "connection lost--disconnect?" floating window.

What I have seen that acts similar to that is a flakey mouse driver--before Logitech (marginally) cleaned up their act, I would see exactly that sort of crazy mouse behavior after some wakes from sleep.

Also, a note if anybody runs across this thread looking for a different problem: Since upgrading to Leopard, my G5 tower sometimes refuses to wake when I hit a key on the keyboard. Pushing the power button, however, works fine, so if it seems to be comatose, try that--apparently Leopard sometimes (not always) turns off whatever firmware thing watches for USB input (or maybe kills power to the keyboard).

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

My 2.16 MBP used to do the same thing; either updates or a clean install fixed it. You might want to be careful about what is running when you sleep your MBP, just in case a program is noncompliant. It would happen to me with nothing running however. Good luck. You might try the Apple support forums.

6. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

Usually my external harddrive is connected, a mouse, and i have safari, itunes, and maybe qucksilver open when i put it too sleep. I'm not shared with another computer when sleeping.