Leopard + Grapher Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by telecomm, May 11, 2008.

1. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Hi all,

I've posted this problem on the Apple Discussion Forums, but haven't gotten a response yet, so I figured I'd try my luck here.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1516858&tstart=0

Anyway, here's the problem...

I'm using Grapher 2 on Leopard (to create graphs to be exported as TIFFs), but when I save a Grapher file and then reopen it the image size changes (Format>Layout>Size). If I then choose "Revert to saved" I get another image size, and I can keep repeating this to get a new (often bizarre) size each time.

Manually entering the size doesn't really help either, since changing one field seems to inadvertently change the other.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't understand quite what you are doing. If you can go through it step by step with as much detail as possible I can see whether I can replicate the issue.

3. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Cool, thanks.

If you just create a graph (say, y = x^2), then save the file. If you go to Format>Layout>Size, check the values there. Close Grapher, then reopen the file. The first indication that something has gone wrong is the appearance of scroll bars in the viewer window. Go to Format>Layout>Size and check the values there, and the values differ from the originals.

Choosing "Revert to saved" then gives me new Size values yet again!

If I were just looking to view a graph, none of this would be a problem. But I'm generating images, tweaking the font size of the axis labels, etc. A graph with 18 point size axis labels will look different if the dimensions of the image have changed, even if, for example, the x-axis still runs from –3 to 3.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It occurs for me if I use the hand to move the location of the graph after saving.

5. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

But it looks fine when you first open the file?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes

EDIT: Its now doing it every time.

7. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Thanks, glad to know it's not just me! (But it sounds like maybe you shouldn't have volunteered to check.) :eek:

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Reported to Apple's bug reporter, the bug ID is 5926573 if you are curious to see how its going.

9. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Thanks, I wonder if this is the sort of thing that would be rolled into an OS update?

I can't recall ever having seen a stand-alone updater for any of the utilities other than the big ones (Airport Admin Utility, Boot Camp, etc.). I doubt we'll see Grapher 2.0.1 in Software Update anytime soon.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Same problem happens to me now on my MBP. It was fine 3 days ago though.

It's not a user/preferences issue since it also happens on the guest account.

My iBook's Grapher is fine, but WHY is my MBP's one broken?

I'll reinstall the OS if I can't fix the issue.

11. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Is your iBook running Leopard too? I don't have this problem on my PB, but it's running Tiger.

I wonder if a reinstall is going to help. Are you sure it was working fine before? Like Eraserhead, I had posted this using Apple's bug reporter, but I don't think Grapher is too high up on their list of priorities.

Anyway, keep us posted. There are so many weird issues with Grapher, and I had given up on seeing anything fixed until Snow Leopard. It's a shame that Grapher gets such little attention from Apple. At least the Leopard version finally allowed us to change the name of a new group of equations from "New Group." :eek:

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Both Macs are running Leopard.

It was definitely working fine.

Haha, seriously? :eek:

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Permissions repair and disk repair both didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking it's an OS/system problem.

My only option now is to reinstall…

Update: Archive and Install did not work.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

FIXED!

Well, sort of, but not really. Here's the full story.

I thought some more about my Grapher documents and I realized that there is a good chance that I created some files (because my MBP is a month old), saved them, kept them open for days (closed them too), and never opened them again (until yesterday). I noticed that all "new" (created on MBP) documents had the scroll bar bug on open, but all "old" (created on iBook) documents didn't. (This was true from the moment I discovered the bug.)

So I decided to copy an "old" document. When I opened it (after the reinstall), it was fine. Saving it was fine too. Because my "old" document windows were smaller than my "new" document windows, I decided to save a new (as in File » New) file with window sizes smaller than my "old" document window sizes. No scroll bar problem. I got one of my "new" (broken) files and resized it to match an "old" one, and resaved it. When I opened it again, the page size was very slowly decreasing, in contrast to the increases before. (In other words, if I opened a document, saved it, closed it, and opened it again, the page size would increase. After the fix, the same thing gives a small decrease every open-save-close-open cycle, until the scroll bars disappear.)

One more thing… I opened up a new document on my iBook, stretched the window to over 1024x678, saved it, and opened it again. Sure enough, there were the scroll bars.

So I guess that's the fix for me. Keep window sizes to 1024x678 or so (739x499 page size or so). I don't remember if this worked before the reinstall. I'll also check the Apple Store to see if those computers have the same scroll bar problem. If not, then I have a big problem…

Hopefully the 10.5.6 update won't break anything…if so I'll be mad! :mad:

More stuff: When the window is made smaller and the open-save-close-open cycle is done, the vertical scroll bar disappears relatively quickly, but the horizontal one takes longer to disappear. Right before it does, the vertical one pops back for a moment.

15. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Wow, nice research!

I'll give this a try next time I need to create a graph (I had formerly resigned myself to copying and pasting into a new Grapher document every time I needed to tweak an image).

Edit: I've just tried saving a new image created in a small Grapher window, and it does open and display correctly after saving and reopening. :)