Leopard Graphics update?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zepharus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I installed the laundry list of updates tonight....rebooted and then after the iMac ALU came back up for giggles i checked again. there was a listing called Leopard Graphics update.

what up wid dis?

2. iDarbert macrumors regular

As far as I've heard it's graphic drivers updates.
    Oh, and they say it improves WoW performance too, or was it 10.5.2 that did?

3. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

WoW..

I'm currently installing WoW as I type this. I've never played it on an iMac, but can't wait to see it with all options set to max. :D

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yeah its an update that requires 10.5.2 to install. Released at the same time.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I found both updates together improved OpenGL performance (in Cinebench) by 30% (2/3 of the improvement came from 10.5.2). Over on tuaw, people are claiming 30 FPS -> 50 FPS improvement in WoW after installing both.

6. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

WoW that is a pretty big improvement...

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

On ALU iMac?

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

More info please!!!

9. ale500 macrumors regular

On the integrated graphics front... they do not make any improvement... I tested with openmark and the low triangle part... was slower. But sure they make Safari snappier !

10. nickf macrumors member

You need to take this with a pinch of salt.

I'm playing WoW on a 2.4/20 Al-iMac with most of the settings maxed (except draw distance, which is set to 75% or so). In a busy setting, such as the middle of Stormwind or flying around in Skettis, the fps was capped at 20. This remains the same after applying the graphics update.

However, in enclosed spaces, with few objects to render (such as inside an Inn), the fps rises to 60 (-previously 30 was the max). YMMV, of course. I haven't tried a Gruul's raid yet, but it'd be interesting to see what the effects are.

11. Maxime macrumors regular

Interesting. I'll try this out.

12. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

See are we talking the Mac client or the Windows client? Might make a difference. Im using the Mac client and have not noticed a difference..

13. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

WoW / graphics speeds..

I can't comment for sure on whether or not there was a boost, but it sure looks pretty. On my PC, as I mentioned before, it would crash often. It was a guarantee if I turned my character around too fast (leaving auction house in Ogrimmar was a guaranteed reboot), or just random times while standing in a barren (heh) area.

I finally finished installing WoW and Burning Crusade last night. Simply gorgeous. I've never been able to have all details on full with that high a resolution, 1900x1200. I checked on the status down below though, and I kept getting a solid 30fps. Whether the Barrens or in Ogrimmar with all the Valentines craziness going on.

Also, further proof that I'm a mac-newb. I had put my machine in sleep mode yesterday thinking 'Oh, I'll finish those 2 torrent downloads when I get home from work'. Not only were they finished, but my iMac had updated itself! I didn't know it remained active while in sleep.

14. nickf macrumors member

It's the Mac client.

Bottom line is yes, I do see increased FPS, but not in all areas of the game, and (usually) not in outdoor environments.

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Off topic but I wasn't aware of this. Could someone more experienced give some insight as to the computer's activity during sleep?

16. broski macrumors newbie

i'm also extremely impressed with WOW on my 24'' imac. used to play it on a pc, with a 19 inch screen. TOTAL diff experience. the only thing i hate is getting used to the mouse where i have no right click haha

17. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

Im glad to hear that the iMac got a bunch in the graphics department. Not that I play WoW, but I know there are lots that do. Their ATI video cards get bashed a lot.

18. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Err..

My mac mini buddy thought the same thing. No right click. But you do.. if you go to the System preferences, then over to mouse.. you can assign the right side of your mouse to be a second button.. works fine.. now I can loot all those bodies with a simple right click. It took some getting used to not physically having a second button, but the functionality is there.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No Mac can perform any tasks while in sleep mode, because during sleep only RAM is powered and it can't process data, only to store it.

20. iDarbert macrumors regular

Well, you could enable the right click in the Mouse and Keyboard pane under System Preferences.

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

That would be because if you spend the kind of money that you have to to get an iMac you really should expect a lot better. I could build a gaming PC for far less which has a graphics card which blows the rubbish in the iMacs away.

It would have been far, far better if Apple included a Geforce card rather than the ATi nonsense.

You don't have to use the crappy mouse Apple includes with its computers - you can plug ANY USB mouse into your iMac.

22. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

Well..

Then I have a ghost in my office that took a shining to my mac and updated it for me because mine was in sleep mode the day the patch came out. It was already patched when I got home. :)

23. MascisMan macrumors member

Just like a gaming PC, a Mac is not an all-in-one solution. A gaming PC plays games great but is so-so in some other production applications. The Mac is the opposite.

That being said it would be great if a GeForce card was standard.

24. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

lol I will gurantee you that a great gaming PC will excel in all areas... Games are the most intensive apps youll encounter this side of design... video encoding included