leopard grey install disks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skakidalex, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Skakidalex macrumors newbie

hey all,

ok here's my problem. I've wanted leopard since it came out but being so expensive I decided to wait, well, a little while ago I decided to finally buy it, woo. So I go on to ebay.. and I buy the grey install disks that come with the macbook for like.. $50. So I spend half my day backing up all my stuff, erase my HD, re-partition it and run the install... and nothing.. so I go on a working computer and look this problem up and I read that I need to buy a commercial copy of leopard for it to install.. now this makes sense and I'm fully willing to buy a copy, buut.. it's like $200 and I waited so long for these disks to arrive.So, I was just wondering if there was ANY way I could get these to work because I'm a student living on my own and I don't have the kind of cash to throw at the computer store to placate my desire for leopard so quickly.. any help will be appreciated!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, the grey disks you have - the system disks - can only be installed on the computer from which they came.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, grey restore disks are model specific. They will only work on the exact model they were shipped with.

4. Skakidalex thread starter macrumors newbie

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Wanted to add that I just checked the Apple Store (Canada) since it appears you are from Ottawa and Leopard there is $129 not the $200 you mentioned in your first post. Yeah, not as cheap as the $50 for the unusable disks, but still a good jump away from $200 anyways, so maybe that will help you get it sooner! :)

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says... ^^^ yeah, I am guessing that the thread starter got the prices for the single user and family pack mixed up - would not be the first one to make that mistake...oh yeah!