Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v-ault

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
The leopard screenshots on apple.com seem to indicate that the GUI is going to stay the same. Is that really the case, or is apple just trying to keep their new gui secret? I kind of want Apple to make the GUI a bit nicer considering vista has some things within its GUI that surpass tiger. I've only had my mac since December '06, and I don't really know how apple operates 100%, so I'm just wondering if those leopard screens on apple.com are final.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I do not think there will be a radical difference between OS X 10.4 and 10.5 as far as the GUI. There will be differences and enhancements, for sure, but it will not undergo a heavy makeover.

That will come in the next release, Mac OS 11. Leopard is the last major release of OS X, after-all.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Phew, glad I'm not the only one...I hadn't heard that either.

According to an article on ARS, they stated that it has been public knowledge for some time that OS X 10.5 will be the last release of OS X.

I don't have anything else to back that up, but ARS is a reliable source of information.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
The screens reflect what they've currently shown the public, that's all. They're keeping any "new GUI" they might have under wraps for the time being.

is this possible for them to do? i don't know jack about programming + GUI development. can they have seeded out versions of 10.5 to the developers with the current GUI and then pull an entirely new/dramatically altered GUI into the final release without anyone knowing?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
According to an article on ARS, they stated that it has been public knowledge for some time that OS X 10.5 will be the last release of OS X.
Do you have a link to that article? Hmm, AFAIK, that is not public knowledge. Otherwise, why are so many of us questioning it? :)

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I love it when people ask questions no one can answer, will leopard be like this etc etc? well on apple knows!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Umm, yeah, notice the publish date of that article? :D

Yes, I saw that. But there is no indication whatsoever that ARS is playing an April Fools joke. If they had, it would have been cleared by now.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Yes, I saw that. But there is no indication whatsoever that ARS is playing an April Fools joke. If they had, it would have been cleared by now.

if you read the article, it should have been clear that it was an april fool's joke. just look at the names for the 11.x releases. sloth?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I, I say - it's a joke son, it's a joke. 11.4 is "Sloth"? Give me a break. Switching to Linux to gain access to a wide range of hardware components? Right.

It would make more sense for Apple to adopt the OpenSolaris kernel and name the releases after planets.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
did you know the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?
It isn't? Hang about let me check.... Wow, you're right. I wonder why?

PS: Steve Jobs had said on many occassions that he expects OS X to last for 20 years.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
hey guys check out my new macbook pro with 8 cores and 6 gb of ram and a 300gb hard drive...its also white, with black spots, furry and cuddly...pssshhh such an april fools joke...so gullible

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
When they released OS X Steve Jobs said it would be Apple's OS for the next decade.

AppleMatt

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a

Except for the fact that they changed their name to Urs Technica during April Fool's and all their posts incorporated bears. I don't know if you find amusement in the confusion of others, or you are genuinely confused, but it was an April Fool's joke.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
PS: Steve Jobs had said on many occassions that he expects OS X to last for 20 years.

No, he said that he expected for OS X to lay the ground work for the next 20 years, not for OS X to las that long.

Big difference.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Okay, I see that it was a joke. Some of you guys on here can be such *******s though.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I highly doubt there is going to be any sort of massive overhaul of the UI, because the UI is just fine... and has been refined over the last seven years.

Like translucent window borders and titlebars? Yeah, we had that, and thankfully Apple got rid of it in Panther, because it sucked.

Jaguar.jpg

The menus used to also be a lot more translucent, closer to 50%, which was eye-bogglingly atrocious.

cheetah.jpg

Think the Finder is bad now? Should have seen it in Mac OS 9 and early Mac OS X!

Other than that, I don't really see what's so great about Windows Vista's UI that would make Apple want to change anything. We already have a way better method of switching between programs (Expose) and have always had visually entertaining minimizing and stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.