Leopard has decided to stop recognizing my external HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jSunbeam, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jSunbeam macrumors regular

Hello, hope someone can help here. I've had a multitude of errors with Leopard since installing it (on a 2.16MB) but they've so far been (just about) tolerable annoyances.

However, today it decided that it simply wasn't going to recognize my Seagate 320gb hd anymore.

At first I thought the worst - that the sheer number of times the computer has crashed and i've had to do a manual restart/shutdown has screwed with the HD, so I tried booting into Windows to see if it was some stupid filesystem error.

Guess what? It works absolutely fine in Windows. Did I step into a parallel universe here where Mac OSX is so bad you have to switch back to cosy old Windows XP?

As far as errors, all Leopard says is 'This disk is not readable by Mac OS'. If i try to verify it in Disk Utility it just says 'nope, couldn't be verified' or words to that effect...

The HD is formatted as FAT32 but please bear in mind it's been working absolutely fine in both until now.

Suggestions anyone?

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Have you tried running an error check on the drive in Windows XP? Right-click on the drive in Windows, select Properties. Error-checking should be under the Hardware tab if I remember correctly.

3. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

Well, Windows didn't find any errors in the process but it seems to have done the job! Thanks for the tip.

Now, just to get rid of that damn beachball that haunts me whenever i try to do, well, pretty much anything!:D

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Glad to hear it's working again! That's somewhat odd that it's fixed now even though an error-check didn't find anything. Maybe Windows isn't telling you everything. ;)