Leopard has killed my Tiger!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pittster, Nov 14, 2007.

1. pittster macrumors regular

Was running 10.4.10 with no problems at all.
    Bought a separate HD and backup up system using Super Duper.
    Discovered Leopard was v v flaky so reverted back to Tiger.
    Now if I try and launch 'software update' by using the Apple icon in the top left hand of the screen it wont launch anymore.
    If I then try to launch by clicking 'About this Mac' and then clicking the pane 'software update' it launches one of my pictures from iPhoto rather than the updater!!
    This is after repairing permissions...

Any ideas anybody, please!!... Leopard really seems to have messed my Mac up.

BTW am running a Power Mac dual 2GHz.

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

How did you "revert to Tiger"? Did you do a complete reinstall?

3. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

I wiped/zeroed the internal HD that had Leopard on it, and then reinstalled 10.4.10 onto that zeroed HD from the external HD using Super Duper.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How did you reinstall using SuperDuper? Do you mean you restored a previous backup of your Tiger install from an external drive? Have you done a clean Tiger install from the DVD?

5. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I backed up 10.4.10 onto an external HD BEFORE I installed 10.5 onto Drive B. It was working flawlessly.

After I discovered Leopard was flaky I then zeroed Drive B and reinstalled the saved version of 10.4.10 using the external drive.
    It now runs but has this weird behaviour.

I was hoping I wouldnt need to do a clean Tiger install.... looks like I may have to now:(

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Indeed, something is obviously up with your backup.

Have you tried booting from the external drive?

7. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, it does the same if I boot from external HD, it was working flawlessly before the Leopard install, I checked it before I installed 10.5.

God knows what happened, looks like a clean install is needed of Tiger.

Reading all these posts, it looks like Apple really dropped the ball with Leopard. I have never had OS installation problems before this one....:(

8. boz0 macrumors regular

Have you tried resetting the NVRAM ?

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you are going to do a clean install, I'd go with a clean install of Leopard unless you have some software that won't run under it. That would get you a stable and up-to-date system.

10. pittster thread starter macrumors regular

Going back to Tiger for the moment.
    Did a clean install, have spent nearly 36 hrs trying to work this problem. Will wait for 10.5.1 which will hopefully have sorted out some of the issues.

11. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

I dont want to jump on the "Leopards Perfect" bandwagon but I really have to question your deductive reasoning...

You made a backup of Tiger using Super Duper under Tiger.. Then after not getting on with Leopard, you are completely wiping Leopard and restoring the Super Duper backup... At no point did you use Leopard for your backup and restore process?

Surely this points to Super Duper breaking your backup?

Anyhoo, you could just do an archive and install so that your apps and settings are retained...

12. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Just stick Leopard back on. I'm not quite sure why you've found it 'flaky' either. What exactly went wrong?