Leopard & HP printer problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uptherighttree, Jun 16, 2008.

1. uptherighttree macrumors member

Hi all, been lurking for years but now require help in something that I can't work out.

I have a MBP and an HP Photosmart printer. Last night I wanted to print some photos but for some reason I had a communication problem with the printer, nothing major it's happened before, reboot and everything is back to normal.

But last night I put everything in the printer queue on hold using the printer software and rebooted again. Now, any program that I use and want to print from will freeze and crash out when I select the print option.

The printer doesn't have it's own program running (nothing in apps), it just starts up as soon as I send something to the printer and I have no idea where to find anyway of getting the printer spool to show. I have tried reinstalling the printer software but that crashes (ignore or relaunch straight away)

How can I force the printer software to uninstall?

Oh, and it even crashes the preferences window when i select printers and fax options.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is the printer connected by USB or by wireless network?

3. uptherighttree thread starter macrumors member

Yeah forgot to mention that. it's USB

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Please provide the printer model number so I (we) can research it.

I have been dealing with HP printers for many years. My gripe is that HP tends to forget about updating drivers for older printers and concentrates on their newer line only.

I had an OfficeJet AIO 7130 and had constant problems with it under both Tiger and Leopard as their HP Communications daemon would tend to "run away with the cpu" forcing me to kill it. Other problems included the printer forgetting its calibration settings and eventually more hardware problems started happening. I donated the printer to charity and purchased a new model which I love and HP updated the software and drivers for it this past February.

Once I know what model you have I can do some research on finding out how to remove the software. One thing you can do is run Disk Utility and Repair permissions. You may have overwrote some of the files HP installs and these may have the wrong permission settings.

5. uptherighttree thread starter macrumors member

it's a HP photosmart 7450.

The MPB is an Intel, 2.4 if that helps too

The printer works fine as a standalone device. I plugged in a CF card with images on it and I could print from the card so I know the printer is fine.

I will try the disk repair thing tonight and see if it works.

I had a look at the HP site last night but couldn't seem to find anything except Windows problems

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The latest driver is 20060404 released on 08/2006.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=397785&lang=en

To uninstall, you use the installer program, but from the drop down (Easy, Custom, Uninstall) you choose "Uninstall".

I got this from the HP website here. Scroll all the way down till you get to the Uninstall section:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00029331&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=397785

However, there is some conflicting info as I found another HP web page that instructs you using the uninstaller in /Applications/Hewlet-Packard (could be HP)/Photosmart/...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00237307&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=397785

7. uptherighttree thread starter macrumors member

i'll try that, thanks

but just in case, I was using the installer file to try and uninstall/reinstall and all it does it crash (ignore,relaunch etc) before I get to do anything with it. This is the same file i originally installed the printer from

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try doing it in "Safe Boot" mode so that nothing else is running. Repair Permissions first though.

9. uptherighttree thread starter macrumors member

repair permissions did the trick. i can print again.

thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate your time