Leopard iCal crashes on open

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rogersmj, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It just started doing this today, out of the blue. The iCal window starts to load, and then immediately crashes, every time. I've already tried a reboot.

What should I do to fix this? I do have the calendars backed up on Google, so I can reimport them if I need to. Is it safe to delete everything in ~/Library/Calendars/ ?

EDIT: Never mind...after a little experimentation I discovered that something in ~/Library/Caches was causing the problem. I deleted the whole caches folder and iCal starts right up.

2. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Ok, so iCal opens now but there's a different problem...it hangs whenever I try to drag an ICS file into it (like an event invitation attached to an email). It pulls up an "Importing iCal data" progress box, and then just sits there.

3. spygirl108 macrumors newbie

having the ical crash too, but clearing cache isn't working

I tried clearing my ical cache, and restarting ical. The most frustrating part is being able to see, for a split-second, the month - before it just crashes. My life is in there... I need my ical!!

Any ideas?

Also, an ongoing problem that has come with me through the operating system upgrade. Stickies still thinks that I'm opening the program for the very first time. No matter how many stickies I try to make, it clears them all when I quit the program and I'm stuck with the 3 "tutorial" stickies, like a first-time user all over again.

With these 2 issues, I'm starting to think about a big backup and a 7-pass zero of the drive, clean install and a total overhaul. Only problem is, last time I did that, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my iphoto albums to show up. I am a art professor and have over 4,000 images of student work, organized into 20 different albums of class projects and CANNOT lose that info. That's a weekend, folks. So, if anyone has info on how to get any of the following issues solved:

1. iphoto library albums back in place after transferring the files to another machine or backing up to an external.
    2. getting stickies to notice that i'm not a new user each time I quit the application
    3. coercing ical not to crash on every start

It would be fantastic.

Thanks,
    Megan