Leopard iChat & Growl

MBX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
is there a way to make growl work with ichat in leopard?

or do we have to wait for chax leopard update?

MBX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
maybe post on the growl support forum instead of bumping this too much.
well, i was hoping some people on here use it as well so that i could get some advice here instead over there and having to register an account just for that question.

so i'm asking the kind people of macforums again. what's the best way of making growl notification work with new ichat?

help much apperciated

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
well, i was hoping some people on here use it as well so that i could get some advice here instead over there and having to register an account just for that question.

so i'm asking the kind people of macforums again. what's the best way of making growl notification work with new ichat?

help much apperciated
if it isnt obvious by now, apparently no one here knows..sorry we cant be of anymore help than that..

adm58

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Here is a script I put together. Copy and paste this into Script Editor, then set up the appropriate event handlers in iChat:

---

using terms from application "iChat"

on buddy became available theBuddy
set appName to "iChat"
set whoDidIt to full name of theBuddy
set didWhat to "is available."
set buddyIcon to image of theBuddy
set the allNotificationsList to ¬
{"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away", "Message received"}
set the defaultNotificationsList to ¬
{"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away"}
tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
register as application appName all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications defaultNotificationsList icon of application appName
notify with name "Buddy became available" title whoDidIt application name appName description "is available" image buddyIcon
end tell
end buddy became available

on buddy became unavailable theBuddy
set appName to "iChat"
set didWhat to "went offline."
{"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away", "Message received"}
{"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away"}
if status of theBuddy is equal to offline then
register as application appName all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications defaultNotificationsList icon of application appName
notify with name "Buddy went offline" title whoDidIt application name appName description "went offline" image buddyIcon
end tell
else if status of theBuddy is equal to idle then
notify with name "Buddy went idle" title whoDidIt application name appName description "is idle" image buddyIcon
end tell
else if status of theBuddy is equal to away then
notify with name "Buddy went away" title whoDidIt application name appName description "is away" image buddyIcon
end tell
end if
end buddy became unavailable

on message received message from theBuddy for textChat
set appName to "iChat"
notify with name "Message received" title whoDidIt application name appName description message image buddyIcon
end tell
end message received

end using terms from

kanenas

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
Another script

Another poster had a similar question (zhe asked just about buddy avail & unavail events). Before I found this thread, I wrote a script (not reproduced here). If you want an alternative, check it out. If you have suggestions for my script, please head on over to the other thread and post them.

applenewbie2008

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
When you click on the growl window that shows up when running the script above it doesn't take you to the chat window like in adium. Is there anyway to be able to do this?

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Alberta
I love growl so much

honestly it surprises me apple hasnt done work with the growl team to make growl an actual part of OS X... and dont work to make it universal and simple for ANY developer (maybe through Apples SDK) to plug their application into growl

kakashiyp

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Hi I tried to post teh script and am getting an error message when i turned on the script for message received. GrowlHelperApp got an error: Can’t make missing value into type Image

sorry i'm new to this stuff

kanenas

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
Chax

Hi I tried to post teh script and am getting an error message when i turned on the script for message received. GrowlHelperApp got an error: Can’t make missing value into type Image
Change all the "notify ..." lines to
Code:
try
  notify with name [name] title whoDidIt application name appName description [descr] image buddyIcon
on error
  notify with name [name] title whoDidIt application name appName description [descr]
end
Note you need to replace "[name]" and "[description]" with the values from each line you replace.

You could also try Chax for a more featureful iChat extension.

quad64bit

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
Chax does it

Just incase anyone still finds this thread looking for an answer to this question, Chax adds this support to ichat. Just google Chax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.