Leopard iChat & Growl

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Oct 28, 2007.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

is there a way to make growl work with ichat in leopard?

or do we have to wait for chax leopard update?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

well, i was hoping some people on here use it as well so that i could get some advice here instead over there and having to register an account just for that question.

so i'm asking the kind people of macforums again. what's the best way of making growl notification work with new ichat?

help much apperciated

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if it isnt obvious by now, apparently no one here knows..sorry we cant be of anymore help than that..

5. adm58 macrumors regular

Here is a script I put together. Copy and paste this into Script Editor, then set up the appropriate event handlers in iChat:

---

using terms from application "iChat"

on buddy became available theBuddy
    set appName to "iChat"
    set whoDidIt to full name of theBuddy
    set didWhat to "is available."
    set buddyIcon to image of theBuddy
    set the allNotificationsList to ¬
    {"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away", "Message received"}
    set the defaultNotificationsList to ¬
    {"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away"}
    tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
    register as application appName all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications defaultNotificationsList icon of application appName
    notify with name "Buddy became available" title whoDidIt application name appName description "is available" image buddyIcon
    end tell
    end buddy became available

on buddy became unavailable theBuddy
    set appName to "iChat"
    set didWhat to "went offline."
    {"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away", "Message received"}
    {"Buddy became available", "Buddy went offline", "Buddy went idle", "Buddy went away"}
    if status of theBuddy is equal to offline then
    register as application appName all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications defaultNotificationsList icon of application appName
    notify with name "Buddy went offline" title whoDidIt application name appName description "went offline" image buddyIcon
    end tell
    else if status of theBuddy is equal to idle then
    notify with name "Buddy went idle" title whoDidIt application name appName description "is idle" image buddyIcon
    end tell
    else if status of theBuddy is equal to away then
    notify with name "Buddy went away" title whoDidIt application name appName description "is away" image buddyIcon
    end tell
    end if
    end buddy became unavailable

on message received message from theBuddy for textChat
    set appName to "iChat"
    notify with name "Message received" title whoDidIt application name appName description message image buddyIcon
    end tell
    end message received

end using terms from

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

7. adm58 macrumors regular

What?

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I was complimenting you on a great job!

9. kanenas macrumors newbie

Another script

Another poster had a similar question (zhe asked just about buddy avail & unavail events). Before I found this thread, I wrote a script (not reproduced here). If you want an alternative, check it out. If you have suggestions for my script, please head on over to the other thread and post them.

10. applenewbie2008 macrumors newbie

When you click on the growl window that shows up when running the script above it doesn't take you to the chat window like in adium. Is there anyway to be able to do this?

11. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

I love growl so much

honestly it surprises me apple hasnt done work with the growl team to make growl an actual part of OS X... and dont work to make it universal and simple for ANY developer (maybe through Apples SDK) to plug their application into growl

12. kanenas macrumors newbie

The click callback isn't exposed via applescript, so nope.

13. kakashiyp macrumors newbie

Hi I tried to post teh script and am getting an error message when i turned on the script for message received. GrowlHelperApp got an error: Can’t make missing value into type Image

sorry i'm new to this stuff

14. kanenas macrumors newbie

Chax

Change all the "notify ..." lines to
    Code:
    try
      notify with name [name] title whoDidIt application name appName description [descr] image buddyIcon
    on error
      notify with name [name] title whoDidIt application name appName description [descr]
    end
    Note you need to replace "[name]" and "[description]" with the values from each line you replace.

You could also try Chax for a more featureful iChat extension.

15. jongriff macrumors member

16. quad64bit macrumors newbie

Chax does it

Just incase anyone still finds this thread looking for an answer to this question, Chax adds this support to ichat. Just google Chax.

17. jamescoulee macrumors newbie