Leopard iChat Solves Previous Error -8 Problems in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mags631, Oct 30, 2007.

1. mags631 Guest

Me: school in the Bay Area
    Wife: home in North Carolina

I live in an apartment complex that provides a wireless internet connection. I don't have the option of asking for it to be configured differently.

Previously, with my wife and I both using iChat on Tiger, we could never connect while I was in my apartment. However, we could connect just fine when I am on campus or when I was actually home in NC (i.e., testing the connection). Hence, the problem with using iChat in my apartment appears to be with the apartment's wireless router.

I now have Leopard on my laptop. I need to decide if it is worth upgrading my wife's mini to Leopard in the hopes that the new Leopard iChat might resolve our previous connection problems.

I found this article on Apple's web site: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306688

Can anyone confirm that the new version of Leopard does make it easier and has resolved a previously experienced Error -8 connection problem?

Thanks in advance for any info / insights!

2. mags631 thread starter Guest

Leopard iChat does work better for me!

Following up in case anyone else is curious if Leopard iChat is better at establishing connections...

the answer for me is "yes!" Without any modifications to the network, I can now video chat with my wife whereas before we were hampered with Error -8 connection issues.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I can confirm that the screen sharing feature does not work properly when it is operating over a PPTP VPN connection. Video & audio work.

There may also be a separate bug that affects most of iChat when a VPN is active, but a chat participant is not reached/routed via the VPN.