leopard & ilife '08

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speakerwizard, Jun 13, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

so, we all saw the keynote, what i noticed, (other than cleverly not showing new ilife feature by letter phill send things to jobs over ichat instead on jobs doing it in reverse) is that there are now smart folders for 'ALL images' etc, leading me to suspect that ilife is integrated in to the os somehow. think about it, edit an image without having to open iphoto, dvd menu options when you right click to burn a file to dvd etc, maybe. who knows just speculating

2. 66217 Guest

It would be nice if iLife is bundled with Leopard.

But remember that all the Macs have iLife pre-installed. So maybe you don't need the latest iLife for iChat to be able to do that.

3. Mekgek macrumors member

That would be really great!

I hate it now that iPhoto is such a seperate application. Just doesn't make sense that you HAVE to open iphoto to view edit your photos. If iPhoto wasn't so horribly slow and terrible to use when you have large large amounts of photos maybe it wouldn't that bad.....

And now that I think of it, there is no other way really. THe cool thing about this coverflow thing is that you can view photos movies etc in a very nice superquick in the finder, no need to open iphoto. BUT if leopard would work in a similar way to tiger now this wouldn't be possible. You don't want people looking at photos in their iphoto DATA folders, it gets a complete mess. Only way to avoid this will be to fully integrate iphoto with the OS. So you can acces your photos both in iPHoto AND the Finder. It's the only way to do it good in my opinion.

4. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

also, take a look at the new finder, what app 1st springs to mind that wont be needed?!?! itunes of course, its already there in the finder

5. 66217 Guest

What???:confused:

6. indraunt macrumors newbie

I don't think they will take iTunes out, but quite frankly, I think they should.

Considering the new finder, iTunes and iPhoto could quite easily just become plugins for finder. The new iTunes could just be a small floating player that plays tunes from the 'all my music' smart folder by default... You could still setup playlists as before, just through finder now instead.

7. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im starting to think they will do exactly that, people have been complaining that unification creates confusion over which app is which when they are open, but if they are apart of the os and finder then whats to confuse?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Isn't this just automating something you can do now? You can enter "kind:image", select the appropriate domain (e.g. home folder, computer, etc), and hit the save button, and you have exactly this. Or file-> new smart folder, and then select images from the kind item.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the idea that Apple might do what you're saying... I think more that this particular feature has more to do with the fact that, in Tiger, the method to do this (find files based on type of file) is still a little cumbersome.

9. aspro macrumors 6502

I don't like the sound of an expanded finder, last thing I want is for most of my system to stall while Finder chokes on a Network Share (as happens to me quite often). I rather like having my programs smaller and more tailored to a small number of functions that are implemented really well.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

From some accounts this network stalling issue has been sorted out, I really hope it has because it is terrible to have finder lock up for a couple of minutes just because the network share is no longer present.

11. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes sure, but what i was getting at was that it has replaced the pictures folder all together

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I didn't get that part. Interesting. Of course, I still intend to let iPhoto manage my photo files in Leopard and beyond. ;)