Leopard in a PC-based network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Koreos, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Koreos macrumors member

Hello,

I've tried everything I could but I don't seem to be able to get the networking in my Leopard machine working.

In my mac, I've: Made sure the SMB sharing was enabled, set the workgroup, disabled IPv6, in Vista: made sure sharing was enabled, changed the network security levels.

My Vista PC can see the Mac in the network, my Mac doesn't see anything. My Vista PC can access the shared folders in the Mac. The Mac can only access the shared folders in the Vista PC through "Connect to Server" in the finder.

Even though using the Connect to Server in the finder grants me access to the PC, I want this PC and all others in the network to be "auto-detected". I shouldn't have to manually type in the IPs of the computers I need to access...

Can somebody help me? I don't know what else to do...

Thank you.

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Do you have file sharing turned on? Sys Prefs> Sharing> check File Sharing. Apply, or OK.

This will allow you to see your computer [PC] in the finder Window i think. Otherwise, if unchecked the OS doesn't allow anyone to view any files or folders, only the Public Folder.

3. Koreos thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it is enabled. SMB (Samba) is enabled as well... I still can't see the vista PC under my network.... :(

4. maclancer macrumors regular

Just open terminal and do this:

sudo rm /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpfs.kext /System/Library/Filesystems/afpfs.fs

problem solved!

5. Koreos thread starter macrumors member

What does that do?

6. maclancer macrumors regular

Fix sharing in your PC network lan, I had the same problem and this tip fixed all my problem with sharing!

7. Koreos thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, but unfortunately I still cannot see any vista PCs in my network.... :(

8. durija macrumors 6502

We do this where I work. Since at least you can connect, just connect and make a alias of the share to put on your desktop, dock or sidebar. You'll have to click on it after a restart, but it should know where to go to find the share.