Leopard in October is a Great Idea

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pixlnet, Apr 23, 2007.

1. pixlnet macrumors member

I've seen one too many reports on the Leopard delay. Too many people complaining about Apple abondoning the computer; yet this is furthest from thr truth. So it's my turn to rant!

iPhone, Apple TV, and Mac are software marvels. You are not seeing Apple abonding computers, you are in fact seeing Apple putting computers in your pocket and in your living room. It is something the largest rival, Microsoft, has been trying to do for several years.

What Microsoft did with Windows, then Windows CE/Embedded/Mobile/etc. is what you're seeing today with OS X, Apple style. So the delay I would say is good for OS X because these devices and computers will share the same foundation. It is extremely clear that OS X is what Apple is all about.

But onto another thing I think many people have either ignored or forgotten. Apple is still stuck in a transition period. Two of the largest software suites, besides OS X Intel, are still in development or have just been shipped. Adobe CS3 and Microsoft Office will greatly boost Intel Mac sales and as of now are only ready for Tiger.

It is quite expensive purchasing these software packages. Adding another $129 OS X upgrade on top of these packages is quite an expensive couple months. And if you time them on top of each other, it almost seems impossible to obtain them all at once like many of us would hope to do.

So stretching out the purchasing period allows Apple to do a few things: work with Microsoft, Adobe, and several other partners to make sure Leopard runs all their software "out-of-the-box", allows us consumers to actually afford the software upgrades, and also allows Apple some time to actually show off and market Leopard.

Did any of you actually think they would put out an OS before even showing it off publicly?! C'mon it's Apple! For Apple fans all I have to say is this- I hope you've been saving your pennies!

2. hopejr macrumors 6502

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, it is an interesting point.....but i still wouldn't say October is a great idea though

4. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Yep, I agree with you, Apple is nowhere close to discarding computers and OSX, however, being an Apple customer I can understand the sense of disappointment because that came over these last few months. This is just not normal, we're already in the end of April and the only new product that Apple announced in 2007 was the iPhone.

We can only hope that this is "the calm before the storm" and that after WWDC 07 Apple will surprise us with a bunch of new stuff. :)

5. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I fail to see why anyone would care to wait for Microshaft for anything.

I came to apple to shed myself of the disease that is Gates. Screw MS orifice. Pages or neooffice is best for me and is slime free!

6. MacVault macrumors 65816

October Delay = OS X on Dell/PC?

Could it be? October Delay = OS X on Dell/PC? Extra time to write drivers, etc??? Just a crazy thought. Oh wait, Mac fan boys say no way in hell.. so I guess I'm just going crazy. ;)

7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Apple make their money from their *some say, overpriced* hardware. Selling just OS X runs the risk of Apple not earning near what they earn now - as people wanting to try Mac won't have to 'invest' money into the company - they can buy it for a small price, and discard it should they not like it.

Apple's answer to people who want a Mac, and still have the ability to use Windows is Bootcamp - not a Generic-PC version of OSX.

Edit: And before you think ''But Microsoft only sell an operating system in a box - and their founder is the richest guy in the world!". Apple only has (I think), 10% market share, meaning Windows practically dominates by 80+/90%. 99% of PC manufacturers install Windows as the operating system - Microsoft rake in the dough that way. Until Apple and Microsoft are 50/50 marketshare, and hardware companies are wanting to install OS X from the factory - Apple won't even consider it.

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

You are indeed going crazy.

9. MacVault macrumors 65816

Just because Apple opens OS X to PC hardware does not mean Apple has to stop selling their own hardware. The may have to be more competitive though, and why the ---- can't they be more competitive? Dell is!

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Because Apple doesn't want to turn OS X into a piece of crap by trying to support the endless permutations of generic PC hardware. Apple designs and builds products that integrate the best human interface, industrial, software and hardware elements. Apple's products are more than the sum of their pieces, because they control every aspect from beginning to end.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, u think the "OSX in appletv and iphone" worth $129?
    and you think apple delay its product out of consideration of user's financial situation? lol, how many mac osx users need a copy of photoshop? stop looking for excuses.

and to be honest, do you think there are any ideas from apple that is not great?

12. MacVault macrumors 65816

If I cannot get the hardware I want to run OS X then OS X might as well be a peice of crap! Yes, literally!

13. MacVault macrumors 65816

Yes - the idea not to offer a headless/tower mac for <$1000. That is one Apple idea that is not great.

14. g3ski macrumors member

getting it right

whatever they need to do to get it right the first time. The fewer bugs upon release the better.

The XP release was a major bug-ridden disaster. Comparatively, Vista has been a very smooth release.

That means that Leopard needs to be a smoother, less buggy release than Tiger, and way smoother than Vista.

They should be releasing 10.5.0 as if it were 10.5.3.

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, bye bye ...

16. g3ski macrumors member

hockey puck mouse - worst design EVER
    one button mouse allegiance until 2004 (2004! are you kidding)
    one button trackpad (still, uhg)
    mighty mouse (nice try, but doesn't work all the time)

Steve, "get a clue", multi-button mice are here to stay. Design a cool looking multi-button mouse, or rebrand logitech mice and keyboards.

17. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That's because there are about 8 people using it.

Also, it's patently untrue—there are just as many (if not more) driver issues and software incompatibilities with Vista at launch as there were with XP. All I hear from the tech-heads is "hold off on Vista for six months to a year because of all the problems." I've even experienced some myself trying to get it to behave on my Mac Pro. At the current point in time I can't even get it to boot without blue-screening—graphics drivers seem to be the cause.

18. jotadeo macrumors regular

I think this is an excellent point, especially given :apple:'s ubiquitous slogan for Macs: "it just works." But after delaying Leopard until October, it better work and work well. As g3ski says...

A small bug or two would be expected, but anything major and...well, I don't know what exactly, but it won't be pretty. ;)
    jdo

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, there is no deny apple always had great design, but unfortunately, design isn't everything. brand loyalty isn't a bad thing, but don't go over the top and refuse to face the facts. :p

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i said in another thread that i would wait till christmas to get a bulletproof release of Leopard. i was only joking, but it looks like i wasn't too far off the truth :eek:

its not what i would have liked, but i can wait till October.

21. g3ski macrumors member

8 people using XP? You contradict yourself. People lined up at stores when XP went onsale. The sale number were higher in the first week than the first month of Vista. Most Vista numbers include the time frame from when business version was released.

I have mostly read that there are many fewer problems in the Vista release, partially b/c of the long lead time on the business release (2 months ahead of consumer release), the very long development cycle, and number of long-term beta pre-releases of Vista.

If Leopard was on this scale, we would have 3 consumer pre-releases between Dec 2006 and May 2008, then a shipping product at WWDC 2009.

22. g3ski macrumors member

I like to get the newest immediately, but not install on my main machine until 10.x.2 or later. If it fires out polished with few bugs, then it could be on a main mac much sooner. :)

23. piltupso macrumors regular

24. hopejr macrumors 6502

I think killmoms was referring to Vista.

25. Apple Architect macrumors regular

Business use of Vista

I would just like to add that yes, there have been many fewer problems with Vista - mainly due to the fact that the majority of major corporations are simply not deploying the product yet.

Microsoft will always struggle due to their strength - the OS runs on anyones hardware. This means they are dependent on others to write drivers and suffer because of this. Vista in itself is not "bugy" but the issues are caused by third party hardware and software.

Apple is in a great position that they control the entire stack - but this is also their weakness. Cost to build to a very exact spec is hard and expensive.

p.s. I am not saying Vista is any good. Spending that long working on a product, then removing all the cool ideas towards the end of the development cycle, leaving only a seethru interface was pretty pi$$ poor. Maybe it should have been called Pi$$ta