Leopard install and external drive drama.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cpnotebook80, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Fresh install of leopard.

I upgraded to leopard from tiger when leopard came out. I bought the Western digital 500gb external hard drive for time machine.
    Now with Leopard upgraded on tiger, time machine detected the WD etc and it seems to work fine except the apps were slow in loading even with 2gb ram. Seems i had too much on the system with itunes and iphotos and decided to just do a fresh install with leopard.
    That way i assumed that i could recover imp apps like mail,itunes etc from the Xternal harddrive.
    So there i was ,formated disc,leopard installed and the WD drive asked if i wanted to transfer eevrything over from what i had and i said NO because i wanted to just have few imp apps on leopard at this moment and when i booted in leopard etc ,for some reason my external hard drive didn't allow me to access any of my files.the drive never showed up on desktop.i was like shi%%
    so i decided to reinstall leopard and use the transfer option from the WD hard drive and it transfer all my stuff like mail etc over even with all apps etc.Now it seems the os was running a bit quicker but still groggier as time went on.
    I still would have like to just transfer mail and itunes iphotos on its own without all apps again.Seems like i did all that for nothing except maybe have a solid base for leopard instead of tiger.

any advice on how i get mail or just imp items to transfer over when installing fresh leopard?or run osx faster.I use onyx etc and with 2gb ram u would think it would be faster.
    any help.

Thanks.
    PS: how would i transfer stuff from WD to time capsule when i buy that?

2. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a