Leopard install dvds from Intel imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Craigtimms, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Craigtimms macrumors member

Hey ive got an alu imac, and i wanted to re-install leopard on my emac 1.25ghz (will be 2gb ram soon after i realised its possible!)

It currently has leopard on there but i want a fresh install before i sell it again.. it was 2nd hand and came with leopard in the first place

My problem is im trying to use the osx install cd's that came with my alu imac.. i goto install on the emac (reboot from cd) and it says cannot install osx on this computer?

anyone know why? Do i have a specific intel version of leopard?? it doesnt say anything like such on the cd and the utilities all run off the cd..

Ive never installed a mac os before maybe im doing something wrong?
    cheers!

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

The discs that come with the computers are model specific. You'd need the retail disc to install it on your eMac.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

From what I have been reading, the new OSX OEM (included with new system) discs check for a particular model before allowing them to be installed or the ones included for Intel machines are Intel only to allow them to contain all the extras that are on the DVD.

TEG

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Disks that come with computers are specific to the model they shipped with and will not work on any other model than that. Besides it is against the EULA to install it on any machine other than the one the disks shipped with. Unfortunately, if you want to install Leopard on the eMac you will need to buy retail Leopard disks.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Unfortunately, he's very right. I tricked my Macbook into using my iMac disks by putting the Macbook into firewire mode and attaching it as an external to the iMac, then running the installer on the iMac.

When the installation finished, however, there were constant problems. The video drivers were not correct, and the laptop would not sleep properly.

6. Craigtimms thread starter macrumors member

7. dowg macrumors newbie

eMac and Leopard

I successfully installed Leopard from my MacBook to my eMac using Target Disk in Firewire. no issues.

db

8. dowg macrumors newbie

Did I say Leopard? Sorry, I meant Tiger (10.4)

db