leopard install failed, computer wont restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seh80, Jul 7, 2009.

1. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

My imac has been giving me a lot of trouble, so I decided tonight to just wipe it out and reinstall Leopard. I backed up, and did the erase and install. After the hour installation passed, it said Chinese support failed, install failed, please restart and try again. So okay, I don't care about Chinese, but it didn't give me an option for that. I clicked the restart button it provided. And now the computer just hangs. I hear the install cd spinning...
    I've tried to force restart it and restart while holding down c? No dice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. -_-

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try holding Option on startup, then select the DVD.

Also, if you do a custom install you can select which langauges you want to install and which ones you don't.

4. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

I did this, selected it, and it just goes back to hanging on the white screen with the apple and the little spinning circle (hopefully you guys know what I mean, its from the time right after the starting chimes).

The problems I was having were just application related... just wanted a fresh start after so much frustration.

Thanks for the replies!

5. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Oh, and I can boot into Windows using bootcamp... so I mean, the computer isn't dead, it just doesn't want to play nice with the installation or something? >.<

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How long did you wait?

Also, are you using a retail copy of Leopard or your system restore discs (the gray ones that came with your mac)?

7. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

I waited for about an hour. I was using a retail copy of Leopard... but I guess I should have been using the system restore discs eh? >.>

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's worth at least trying the restore discs. I recently had an instance where I thought my machine was dead because it refused to boot from the retail discs, but I popped in my restore disc and it booted after a couple minutes.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might try wiping the disc clean too

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

The restore discs allowed me to get in there... all the way to the installation introduction. Then a little message pops down which says "Alert, This software cannot be installed on this computer." Options are restart (which just does this over and over), and startup disc.

:/ I can't imagine what the problem is...

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Usually that happens if you're using restore discs for a different machine. Are you sure that those are the discs that came with the iMac?

12. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Hmm it said iMac on it, but maybe they went with my older machine. Found another set, this one doesn't say which model they go with, but giving that a try now. Thanks for the thought.