Leopard install issues on new internal harddrive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pinyourwings22, Jul 8, 2009.

1. pinyourwings22 macrumors member

Hi,

My MacBook is about three years old, and about a year ago, I installed a new 320GB WD internal HD with no issues. I used a Time Machine Backup to install from, but this time, I am doing a clean install from the Leopard disk. I've gotten the install process to start, and after about 10-15% of the way through(estimating from the install status bar), it says that there is about and hour or so left on the install. But after waiting 20 minutes or so, the estimated time has increased, and continues to increase over time, without making any progress. I checked the install log, and it seemed to be stuck on some kind of "Extracting..." process.

I think it may be the install disk, but I am not sure. I am going to borrow my friends install disks from his more recent computer that originally came with Leopard, but I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before. Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Run Disk Utility from your install disk. Utilities from top bar -> Disk Utility -> Repair permissions and repair drive

Remember that your friend's disk works only with the same Mac, so if he has an iMac and you have a MacBook it is not working, I think.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hellhammer is correct... you won't be able to use your friend's disc that came with their computer

I would also suggest repairing the drive from Disk Utility
    You might even want to reformat it as well

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. pinyourwings22 thread starter macrumors member

what if my friends computer is a MacBook Pro?

Also, I have tried repairing the disk, formatting it, erasing it, everything I can think of to it within Disk Utility from the start up disk, and most of the time i get some kind of error like the "resource busy" one. I will try it again tonight, and repost exactly what the problem is. Honestly, I'm pretty computer savy, but I've reached a point where I can't figure out what the heck is going on. I know this may be redundant, but what are the exact steps you think I should take from the install disk startup?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It has to be the exactly same MacBook Pro or at least have the same GPU, CPU can be other but as you said it's newer than yours, I highly doubt it will work. Every Mac model has a different install DVD, because there are custom drivers inside which you can't get from other places or use other Mac's drivers, I think. Do you still have the original drive left? I would try with that and if it works, send the new one back or buy a new one.

6. pinyourwings22 thread starter macrumors member

I have a external case for my internal harddrive. Can I install Leopard on the external, then put the harddrive into the computer, and startup from there? will that actually work?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, and you can boot from USB or FireWire if you want so you don't have to take out the drive